Thread: Cyclone vs custom built 2 stage dust collector

Cyclone vs custom built 2 stage dust collector

I'm trying to figure out which route to go for dust collection. I'm on a budget so staying under $1000 would be ideal. However I want a system that will filter 99% above .5 microns that cyclone systems/Wynn filters claim. (Those numbers may not be the exact specs but you get what I'm saying) My shop is 20x12 and I plan on hooking my system to the tablesaw, bandsaw, jointer, and planer with blast gates and I will only be running one machine at a time as I work by myself (but ducting to all machines separately)

I can buy the grizzly G0703 cyclone 1 1/2 HP 775 CFM for $865 + shipping
    or
    I could buy the grizzly G1029Z single stage 2 HP 1550 CFM for $355 + shipping and spend ~ $400 to add the Oneida super dust deputy and Wynn filter

The cyclone only ends up being $100 more which I'm ok with but I'm wondering if it will be enough suction or if I would get more by building my own with the 2hp single stage model?

I started out with a 2hp cyclone, and it was just not enough suction for any sanders. Was ok for the table saw and planer, and jointer, but when I added sanders, needed a bigger machine. Have a 3hp now, but really probably should have gone with a 5hp system. BTW, spent more than 1,000. on my pipe and fittings. my shop is 26 x 50.

Hi, without a shop layout and duct static pressure calculations you cannot select a dust collector.

Any reputable collector will have a performance curve that will indicate performance with clean filters for varying pressure losses, if you cannot obtain a curve, don't buy the collector.

A table saw will require 400 to 600 CFM under the blade, and 100 to 300CFM over the blade.

It's doubtfully that either of your selections could deliver that airflow at around 6 inches of static pressure.

I suggest you do some research, perhaps Bill Pentz still has a simple to use static pressure calculator that will get you moving in the right direction.

Be sure to use the airflow figures for dust collection, not chip collection.

The dust extractor is your most important piece of machinery, and for many the most costly. If done correctly you'll not waste money on a system that needs upgrading, as dust collection is a purchase that can last your lifetime.

As to building your own system, how would you know before you built your own system whether it would meet the static pressure needs of your machinery and shop?

Regards, Rod.

I think it would be a good idea to check out some test results for the two units you mention. Companies have a bad habit of way overstating the CFM for their machines.

Wood magazine has actual test data that might interest you in the March 2008 issue.

Blog Entries
    If you could get a good 2 stage unit under $1000 we'd all get one . Seriously though, there is no magic way to get large cyclone performance out of a low powered, short system that someone just hasn't thought of yet. Maybe someday but, with today's technology we are stuck with physics. I would consider adjusting your expectations or your budget. I don't mean to sound harsh but, I hate seeing folks throw a little money, then a little more and then a little more at something that will probably always be substandard. I have done it a few times in the past myself and try to save others the frustration.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-03-2017 at 12:06 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

So am I correct in assuming then that there is no way for someone to have a safe dust environment in a small shop for less than $1500+ ?

When you start out with a small dust collector and find out it is not big enough, then you want to sell your small dc, and find there is little market for it. Costs less to go with an adequate system the first time. Personally having gone through this, would start with at least a 3 hp cyclone. The non cyclone dust collectors have small impellers, usually 12.5". Jet used to have a 3hp with a 14" impeller, would not start with less. You might check with Penn State, but would not personally go with less than a 3hp unit with at least a 14" impeller.

Quote Originally Posted by Webb Dulin View Post
    So am I correct in assuming then that there is no way for someone to have a safe dust environment in a small shop for less than $1500+ ?
    One way to do it is to exhaust everything outside. Then you don't need to worry about the filter characteristics at all. But you might need to worry about the neighbors. And if you live in the north, the make-up air will be cold.

Webb,

I went through the same thing before I built my shop. I studied everything Pentz wrote (a job!), read all the forums I could find, and compared specs and prices until I was exhausted. The bottom line - I was left with the unsettling feeling that, as Glenn and others said, if I skimped on the hardware I would be sorry and it would cost far more to do it right the second time.

The wood end of my shop is 24x40 or so - I chose the 5hp ClearVue cyclone and installed 6" ducts. The cost was significantly more than your budget even though I did all the installation and electrical work myself. However, two things: I only paid for it once instead of twice. And it works even better than I had imagined. I run a Dylos air quality monitor and the air stays clean.

If I absolutely could not afford the system that would do the job, I think I would continue to use a good respirator and save up for the DC. (I worked in a tiny garage space and saved for 10 years before I could build my shop exactly the way I wanted it.)

BTW, this is my favorite respirator - it filters well and is very comfortable.

respirator.jpg

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 01-04-2017 at 7:25 AM. Reason: Spelling

I think there are some good dust collectors for under $1500. Laguna and others have like the cflux and pflux that are pretty good. You need to be aware of the actual cfm and static pressure capability of any unit you look at along with the filter.

Yes, it would be great to have a real powerful cyclone but not necessary. The Lagunastyle easily rolls from machine to machine to avoid static pressure losses with piping.

Blog Entries
    Not necessarily but, the cost to properly process your spoil will be directly proportional to the amount of it that you produce. I was able to collect from an enclosed contractor saw via a shop vac sized port as long as I wasn't doing production-like runs of cuts. The same rig choked almost immediately on planer or jointer spoil but, did a decent job of scrubbing the air with a large after-market American Fabric Filter bag.

I still run that unit for my jointer with a 4" port. For most everything else I run a 2HP cyclone and wish it were a 3HP or a 5HP unit. I have 2 Dust Deputy equipped shop vacs for drill press, scroll saw, small bandsaw and hand-held power tools at the bench. This leaves me very little to sweep up. I also have an ambient cleaner for using power sanders as even with the vac hookup, there is still enough quick hand sanding to stir up a load of fines. A respirator is your friend.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-04-2017 at 4:26 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler