Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

2 Jan 2017

Good Morning Everyone and welcome to 2017!!

Rain and thunderstorms here today and I'm off work today in celebration of New Years Day. We did nothing for New Years Eve except for rest and relax from the day job and other pressures of life. So it was a good evening to snack on decent food, watch some Netflix, and enjoy doing precious little for a change. No woodworking projects going on, so the shop is quiet and needs a cleaning once again.

Today is a little work around the house, get a couple of things done for the MIL, and go eat dinner tonight with the Son-In-Law, the LOML Jr and our grand baby. Tomorrow is back to the daily grind as well as work preparation of the "change freeze" coming off all systems at work, so I anticipate that next week will start the season of being a very busy time at the day job.

I've been thinking about setting up an LLC for my woodworking stuff in a way of preparing for retirement in a few years and since I know nothing about running a business (because I like making stuff out of wood but don't do well with running the business side of things) I have a lot of reading and understanding to do. So...if you have expertise in this area, I'd love to hear from you before I spend way too much time reading and trying to understand what will be required of me.

That's it from me, so what did YOU do this past New Years weekend?

Best of weeks to you all!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Made and installed a closet storage rack for my parents out of ripped 2x4s and 1/4" baltic birch. I had to make it in two parts to fit it into my Subaru wagon - I used 3" metal straps to attach the top and bottom sections. I liked the simple construction - two identical frames connected with shelves (thanks Family Handyman magazine!)

rack_for_parents.jpg

And I finally got around to applying the first coat of finish to a figured cherry coffee table I built (Watco Danish Wood Oil.) Sorry for the horrible photo, I was trying to make a time-lapse movie for fun.

coffee_table_finish.jpg

Happy 2017 everyone! May you and yours have a happy and prosperous year.

This weekend I did manage to finish and hang the two raised panel doors for our linen closet. I was impressed with how easy Blum Euro hidden hinges installed. I made a story stick and transferred the measurements from the doors to the door openings to position the 2nd half of the hinges. Then the doors just snapped in place.

linen closet doors.jpg
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-02-2017 at 6:01 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Finished up and presented a late Christmas gift to my brother-in-law and his family. It's an advent calendar made from firewood (white and red oak).

Five pieces with with five slots each (an extra for Christmas Day since advent ends on the 24th).

To build each section, I jointed two sides, resawed on the bandsaw, planed to final thickness, made an initial hogging of the hole with a forstner bit in the drill press, routed the sides flat halfway through the hole using a shop-made template, finished the routing from the other side using a flush trim bit, squared the holes by hand with chisel and mallet, then glued a back piece on. I flush trimmed the back piece, eased the corners, sanded and passed it off to my wife for stenciling and decorating. Then I coated it with BLO and it was good to go.

The cups were much easier. Just s4s the wood into a long piece, drill the holes and cut into final cube. Sand, stencil and blo.

This was my first project in the recently built shop.

IMG_1105.jpg

I rebuilt a scratched up scratching post for my scratchy cats. Quality time in the shop.

JKJ

Gee Ken, next you're going to tell us you've gone to the dark side and now work in metric ....LOL.

They are nice hinges, easy to use and adjust...............Happy New Year, hope you have lots of shop time this year..........Regards, Rod.

Rod,

Before retirement, I worked in metric everyday for 34 years. It wouldn't be a new thing. The difficulties were encountered because the mechanical hardware involved was often both metric and Imperial.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I spent a bit of time in the shop this weekend (and all week, for that matter) working on a small commission...which is complete excepting installation of some felt material that is on the way from a supplier. While waiting for coats of finish to dry, I also made some adjustments/changes to shelving in the shop and got about half of the upstairs cleaned up with a nice pile of dreck to gradually be introduced into the weekly trash pickup. I'll be posting a project thread on the commission at first opportunity in Woodworking Projects.

-----

Ken, I keep saying that my next project will be in metric since all of my tools have metric scales, but I keep forgetting out of habit. LOL

-----

Dennis, in addition to your personal study of the LLC thing, you'll also want to consult with your insurance agent to understand what that might entail as you convert your heretofore hobby into a business.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I spent much of my weekend researching cabinet ideas for my shop so that I can get it cleaned up and organized. After a warm fall this year my wife agreed to adding AC to the shop so I have been researching that as well.

• Put in a new garbage disposer. 1HP. Says you can grind beef bones with it... Might be the first plumbing I've ever done that didn't require a second trip to the store.
    • Pulled out some warped 6" baseboard next to an exterior door that was a added after the initial construction. Turns out it was made of MDF which was a dissappointment. Still need to find and fix the water problem, then replace it.
    • Bought a new Husky 60"*24" rolling workbench and filled it up. It's a pretty decent box for the money, although the single 58" top drawer only has 3 slides and needs 4 or 5 if you load it fully. I'm thinking of picking up another one or two...
    • Had one margarita for New Years Eve, then got a headache. As I age my tolerance for alcohol has diminished, so I guess it's a good thing I drank enough in my 20s.
    Mark McFarlane

Dennis, are you sure you want to incorporate? Research your tax laws for the definition of a hobby and apply your creativity to how to benefit. Insurance is much cheaper. There is no paperwork for your IRS. You can work for cash. It's how I plan to retire.

Apart from that, I'm back on finishing my wife's soap kitchen. Tiling is next then skirting and architraves and painting. Not much to go. Should get out of the full room reno for about $450 including sink, tiles, lining, paint, plumbing and electrical. Return on investment will take about 3 days taking it easy. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Rod,

Before retirement, I worked in metric everyday for 34 years. It wouldn't be a new thing. The difficulties were encountered because the mechanical hardware involved was often both metric and Imperial.
    Ken, I remember you mentioning that about your career, that's why I was teasing you about it.

That's the only thing I find as well, most screws are Imperial unless I'm using Euro hardware.

Plywood is easy as it's metric in thickness..........Regards, Rod.

Hi Dennis, the only thing I accomplished over the weekend was to make another 20 of these oven sticks.
    Oven Stick.jpg

I made 18 before Christmas to give away to visitors over the Christmas holiday.

Unfortunately my neighbours and friends seem to talk to each other and soon I was getting the good natured teasing about where their sticks were.

I made another 20, glad I made a jig for the shaper as then I didn't have to saw accurately or sand, the wood is some cherry shorts that had been hanging around for years, finished with paste wax.

regards, Rod.

Oven sticks

Ok, I've never heard of this but My Lovely Bride the gourmet chef has. After showing her your photo she wants one. Knowing her, it will need to be hand carved from Cocobolo or Olive. (No, she just specified a turned handle!.)

How long (and how thick on the working end) should I make it? Unless it is a company trade secret. :-)

JKJ

Milled an astragal out of poplar to match the Interstate (Lakeland Lumber) window casing (shown with clamp attached) on my kitchen renovation. I am pleased enough with how it came out. With just a little futzing I was able to cope the pieces to mate using the same Amana 56116 bit. Got everything milled, primed, painted and installed. The only downside was that the milled edges were so sharp my hands are suffering what feels like dozens of little slices. Treated myself to another set of Hartford Clamps (gift to me) which should speed up the casing install here there and everywhere.

I only needed about 60' of astragal and weighed heavily just buying 2X that amount in casing and ripping and gluing the section I needed. Both from a cost and labor perspective it was probably a toss up. Neither significantly cheaper nor easier.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius