Thread: Old Rockwell Drill Press - Opinions?

Old Rockwell Drill Press - Opinions?

My current Delta drill press has a certain amount of lateral movement in the quill, especially at full extension. This is a common issue on modern drill presses as there is no way to compensate for wear in the head where the quill slides up and down. This is not a problem on most drilling tasks, especially when the starter hole has been counterpunched, but it is a pain when drilling overlapped holes or partial holes on the edge of something, like with a Forstner bit.

Older presses had a split casting with a bolt for snuggling up to the quill as the hole in the head became worn. This is not found on any modern drill presses that I can find.

I have a chance to purchase the drill press shown. It is a 17" Rockwell 17-600 from the 1960's I think. Note the bolt through the head casting as described above.

Has anyone used such a press? Does the split head really remove lateral play in the quill at full stroke? I'd hate to go to all the trouble of changing presses only to find out that the adjustment provides only marginal improvement.

Any comments are welcomed.

$_27.jpg$_247.jpg$_217.jpg$_273.jpg

I'd opt for old any day! Crank the quill all the down on the DP you're considering and check for movement side to side. If there is any, rotate the quill lock as to lock the quill but leave it just loose and check again. I'd bet dollars to donuts it goes away if there were any in the first place. I had a very old Atlas on which this was the case.

i rebuilt an old one as well, though i think from the 40s? never figured out the brand. I have $300 into it with bearings, almost new leeson motor and vfd. I am certain I could so some light milling with it. This old rockwell looks like a winner to me. check the run out and if its even close, take it home. Mine was marginal, and i replaced the bearings in the quill, now its nearly perfect for the entire stroke.

I have one in the garage with a variable speed attached. Rebuild it and you will love it.

Rockwell 1.jpg Rockwell 4.jpg

I have the bench version of that DP. I found it in the rain at the junkyard at work. I brought it home and restored it. I can't measure any runout at the quill. It is well made and chances are it will be handed down when I am done with it.

i had a Shop Fox bench DP that it replaced. BIG UPGRADE

What is the taper on the spindle? My newer Delta is a Jacobs Taper #3. Be nice if my keyless chuck would fit the old machine.

Have the 15" model. It is a fine tool, with little run out.
    And yes, you can take the slop out of the quill.
    Notwithstanding, the bigger problem you're having is drilling on centers too close to each other. Find out what centers that drill will drill on, on scrap. And stay on those centers. Drills, whether brads, 118°, Forstner or whatever, don't like other holes within their diameters.

I got everything assembled with new bearings and had 3 thou runout at the spindle (a JT33 male stub).

Took the spindle shaft to a machine shop and they say it is straight (< 1/10th of a thou 0.0001")

Perplexed for a while.

One thing that bothers me is that the bearings just drop right onto the shaft. Virtually zero interference. I'm thinking that this should be a press fit. If they are not the shaft could be cocked within the inner races, producing wobble. Even a tiny bit of clearance can result in 3 thou runout. My newer press has zero, as does my lathe, as does the shaft on the upper spindle where the pulley goes on.

To get the shaft ground down, chromed up, reground will cost more that I paid for the press.

Any comments before I decide if I am going to proceed with this step?

i had to freeze the shaft in my deep freeze and heat the bearings in my toaster oven to get them on my old drill press shaft. they should be tight. did the old bearings come off as easy as the new went on? is their evidence of the old bearings spinning on the shaft or in the race?

Howard
    Clean the chuck. I went from .010 to .001 after cleaning my Powermatic 1200 drill press chuck. Tom