Thread: Spray no wipe (SNW or NGR) stains

Spray no wipe (SNW or NGR) stains

I'm in an isolated area with limited resources, unless you count Amazon. My local source for Gemini products does not carry their spray no wipe stain base (NG3000) or dyes (NGRXXXXC).

Do any of you routinely or occasionally use a no wiping stain for blotching woods? I build a metric ton of cabinets in Alder, Knotty Alder, and Maple. As my clientele grows, so does the specifics of the finish they want. Most around here don't mind blotching because they wouldn't know it when they see it. But I don't like it unless its on rustic cabinets, plus pictures look bad IMO.

What do you use and where do you source it?
    -Lud

I have used the spray no wipe stain from Wood Finishers Depot. It was painless and worked just like the name implies. I was matching a dark stain on maple and it was a perfect match with no blotching. Their website is .com after the name
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Thanks, Steve. I'll check them out.

Gemini's distributor, Lancaster's, may be working with me to get what I need. At first they wanted me to buy the dyes in bulk - 6 per color. That would last me 2 lifetimes, unless my business just explodes, and that's not my goal.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    I have used the spray no wipe stain from Wood Finishers Depot. It was painless and worked just like the name implies. I was matching a dark stain on maple and it was a perfect match with no blotching. Their website is .com after the name
    Steve, are you referring to a Valspar product as that's the only one I saw on their website?

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Steve, are you referring to a Valspar product as that's the only one I saw on their website?

John
    When I get to the shop this morning I'll check but I'm sure it is. I also use Valspar's conversion varnish
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

The Valspar is listed packaged as wiping stain but their TDS states in designed to be sprayed as well. I'll have to go to Lowe's (an hour away) to buy it and most likely it would have to be ordered.

Valspar has some good video on YouTube about spraying and glazing with their product.
    -Lud

I received some good news yesterday. My local source's distributor said they are willing to break bulk packaging for what I need. That means I can now buy the 10 different dyes in single quarts (bulk is 6).

After I get some time behind the gun using the NG3000 stain base and it's dyes, I'll come back with a review in case anyone has the product available locally and was considering it.
    -Lud

Can't you mail order mohawk? I use their m520 series alcohol dyes exclusively for this purpose. You can sneak up on the color with no blotch. I just cut the hell out of it, and I can recoat every 5 minutes or so until my color comes in(referencing a step panel).

Hours of searching the web never came up with Mohawk's M520 dyes - I don't know what I don't know. I'm vested in the Gemini for now (20 gallons of base and 1 qt of each base color dye). If it doesn't work out (I'll make it work), I'll try the Mohawk after I run out.
    -Lud

Thanks, I found it easily after knowing the name and brand. I'm looking forward to mixing my own colors. I may take the back after a few spills or miscalculations. :/ Baptism by fire seems to be my only way of learning.
    -Lud