Thread: Another thanks - this time, Kent Bathurst

Another thanks - this time, Kent Bathurst

I finally got time to move all of the stuff around in the basement and have started setting up shop. Now I'm looking to build a workbench with actual workholding capabilities (as opposed to what I've been using) and in reading some threads, came across a comment by Kent about DSS SYP (here). I never once thought about looking for DSS SYP, but now that I'm in North Carolina (vs. many years out in CA and NV), I figured it's worth a shot. There's a builder's supply just up the road from me; I went in and introduced myself and asked if they sold to the general public. Long story short, they will sell me DSS SYP at less than the BORG charges for #2!

Just got the RFQ back and will be placing an order shortly. Only "downside" is I can only get 16-foot lengths, so I have to cut it in the parking lot to get it home...but I figure 16-foot DSS is going to be some mighty clear lumber!

Anyway, thanks, Kent. You inspired me to find better quality lumber at a lower price!

daniel
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

Sadly Kent left this forum. I always appreciated his insight

I hadn't heard that! Sorry to hear he's no longer here. Well, I'll be thinking fond thoughts of him for his inspiration and for our previous interactions.

I've been an on-and-off regular on SMC, and have been mostly gone for the last 2 years or so due to an extremely high travel / high workload position I took. Any other big things I missed out on?

d
    Last edited by daniel lane; 01-12-2017 at 4:08 PM.
    Not all chemicals are bad. Without hydrogen or oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cady View Post
    Sadly Kent left this forum. I always appreciated his insight
    +1 Really miss Kent, especially his sense of humor!

One advantage of an SYP bench is that it is much quieter if you pound on it for making mortices and the like. I ahve an adult son who sometimes works at home and lives at home...he is saving money to buy a house when he gets married.

Quiet could be a real asset in a bench...

That's nice to know, Chris. I'm looking forward to trying out a 'real' bench.

Just went through a modified cut list and the quote, looks like I can get everything I need for my bench AND a smaller one (same style!) for the kids for ~$150. I can hardly wait to see the looks I get standing in the parking lot with a hand saw making 8' pieces to put in the back of the truck!