Thread: LN 4 iron body, Bronze cap, value?

LN 4 iron body, Bronze cap, value?

Have opportunity to buy a used LN #4 smoothing plane with iron body. Has Bronze cap iron. Tote and handle are cherry per seller.. See no nicks or signs of overuse .Appears sharp but not tested by me ..I'm gathering its approx 7-9 yrs old. Ask price is $220..Is this fair value/price? Your advice will be very helpful. I really wanted a bronze body but this became available...thanks in advance. These LN planes are addictive...
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    That is a good discount, 26.6%, from list new if it is in decent condition it is a good deal. It gets even better if you don't have to pay shipping.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    That is a good discount, 26.6%, from list new if it is in decent condition it is a good deal. It gets even better if you don't have to pay shipping.

jtk

Agreed...and you will love it in use!

" I really wanted a bronze body"

Life is short, get what you want. I like the extra weight of the bronze and no rust.

The actual ad price is $240....My mistake. ?? Hmmmmmm.
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    People don't normally discount used Lie Nielsen planes when selling them. If I wanted the plane, I would pay the price.

Hi jerry,

I have the Iron body LN #4 and really like it. I don't find weight is an issue. For long sessions it's confortable.

To help you take a decision, I bought mine used too and paid around 210 € ~ 220/230 $ (depending on Fx Rates). It was in really good condition, almost unused, and alsoo 7 years old.

The retail price is 300 $ so 240 $ is 20% discount.

Did you study the sale prices on other comparable items ?

Whatever your decision, the tool is of great value, and easily sold if you don't like it.

The important thing is to ask the seller good picture about the sole, throat and make sure it's in good shape.

Regards.

Follow up

Bit the bullet and squeezed the trigger...Purchased it today and will be here 2 days courtesy of USPS...I'm excited.
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa View Post
    Bit the bullet and squeezed the trigger...Purchased it today and will be here 2 days courtesy of USPS...I'm excited.
    If it makes you feel any better a 20% discount is actually pretty good for L-N, particularly considering that their warranty is indefinite and transferrable.

As somebody (Malcolm?) pointed out recently in a thread devoted to the topic, people pay insane prices for those things.

Good for you Jerry. I have a feeling that it will become one of your "go to" planes.
    David

We will be keeping an eye out for pics of this plane in action on the tool cabinet build that you are going to be starting soon and another eye out for where in the cabinet you store it.

it is here

Thar she is:

pre shrk ln (600 x 337).jpg

Arrived today....
    Jerry

patience....

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    We will be keeping an eye out for pics of this plane in action on the tool cabinet build that you are going to be starting soon and another eye out for where in the cabinet you store it.
    Joe, Im anxious to get going too but the "honey dew" list has grown now that holidays have passed us...It should be fun project...
    Jerry