Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Farewell, Bubinga, my dear friend

great name for a...

You must be a woodturner if you name your llama Bubinga. Seriously.

A woman brought her son have a custom magic wand made for his birthday. While looking around she picked up a piece of wood.

She: "What kind of wood is this?"
    Me: "Bubinga."
    She: "That would be a great name for an animal!"

I thought hmm..., and my little 1-month-old guy got the name Bubinga. It has a nice ring to it.

Sometimes I call him "BubBub" but NEVER "Bubba"
    He's bigger now:

llama_little_girl_IMG_20130.jpg

JKJ

That llama is pretty babingaie even for for a llama

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    You must be a woodturner if you name your llama Bubinga. Seriously.

A woman brought her son have a custom magic wand made for his birthday. While looking around she picked up a piece of wood.

She: "What kind of wood is this?"
    Me: "Bubinga."
    She: "That would be a great name for an animal!"

I thought hmm..., and my little 1-month-old guy got the name Bubinga. It has a nice ring to it.

Sometimes I call him "BubBub" but NEVER "Bubba"
    He's bigger now:

llama_little_girl_IMG_20130.jpg

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    That llama is pretty babingaie even for for a llama
    All I need now is to learn how to pronounce that and use it three times in sentences. People will be so in awe of my sophisticatancy.

I tried to spell it a different way and i deleted it. It did not read in a very politically correct manner.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    All I need now is to learn how to pronounce that and use it three times in sentences. People will be so in awe of my sophisticatancy.

I see a market ready for bubinga "contact paper" ,which would actually be a little thicker than the veneer.

What is it a foot currently. I have about 200 feet of 4/4. Not going to sell, just curious.

$13 and change..

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    What is it a foot currently. I have about 200 feet of 4/4. Not going to sell, just curious.

I just cat get enough, i just cant get enough.

Yet again it happened. I found myself driving towards the lumber yard post work. The whole time guilt ridden like i was doing something bad.

I purchased another 20bf of 4/4. I found two other 8/4 boards i already know i will be back for. One is 13'x13"x8/4. I gotta take the company truck with racks just to get the piece home. My little 6' bed just wont cut it.

In the picture bellow the middle two racks comprise my collection. This bubinga bug has hot me hard his month. I think it may require a intervention of sorts to get me to stop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Um...there's still space on that rack, Patrick...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Uhm not really.

Maybe for some short stuff. The shelf brackets take up way to much space.

I'm actuallt getting kinda nervouse with the weight it is holding. The lumber on the bottom is about 300bf of birdseye maple. The top shelf is all highly figured quilted maple. The weight of the bubinga has me scared. The rack is right next to my gass meter. I need a heated barn!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Um...there's still space on that rack, Patrick...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Uhm not really.

Maybe for some short stuff. The shelf brackets take up way to much space.

I'm actuallt getting kinda nervouse with the weight it is holding. The lumber on the bottom is about 300bf of birdseye maple. The top shelf is all highly figured quilted maple. The weight of the bubinga has me scared. The rack is right next to my gass meter. I need a heated barn!
    Patrick, I wouldn't do this for just anyone but I have room for it and don't mind driving the truck from TN to help you with your problem. I could even stop by Jim's place on the way back and leave some there. Anything to help out a woodworker. Before I come, please succumb to temptation and get some 12 and 16/4 also. Great for wood turning.

I have one block about 12"x12"x5", sitting on my shelf for 10 years now, waiting for me to feel proficient enough to put it on the lathe.

JKJ

Sorry, John...I'm allergic (really) to bubinga, so any "storage" at my shop will have to be alternate species...
    --

Jim, you are not alone. A year or so ago I made a small project with bubinga. About the same time, my hands started breaking out with a rash like I'd never seen before. I didn't think to connect the two events, and went to a dermotologist, who said it looked like palmar pustilosis, a relative of psoriosis. This didn't surprise me as I've had mild psoriosis for many years.

As soon as I finished the project, the problem went away. On a couple of occasions since then I've handled pieces of bubinga and the problem starts up again. Gotta be an allergic reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Sorry, John...I'm allergic (really) to bubinga, so any "storage" at my shop will have to be alternate species...

Cocobolo does that to me, if I get the dust on my skin and it stays for longer than a few minutes. "Unfortunately," I have a lot of cocobolo. If I wear long sleeves and use some hand lotion before sanding, no problem. (Those paper jackets used by the staff at my dentist work well)

I've also had a mild rash from Eastern Red Cedar years ago when it got under a watch stayed there a while. I use the DC and the respirator on those and other woods when sanding.

BTW, a way to test sensitivity to specific species is put a little sawdust under a bandaid on your forearm.

JKJ

I discovered my issue with this species when I did this large platter project a number of years ago...

--