Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Traditional European Workbench Build

Hi Robert,
    Your vise & threaded rod line up very closely, no twist problem there. I built my arm out for the countersink so the nut is off to one side and less obvious. I still want an acorn nut at some point however. Even countersinking the washer improves the look. My drill for kitchen cabinet hinges was just the right size.

Shoulder Vise

Making maple dowels today to pin the DT on the shoulder corner

Starting with an octagon
    20170219_104103.jpg

20170219_104305.jpg

20170219_105016.jpg

I lined the running surface for the chop with UHMW - top and bottom
    20170219_122549.jpg

Last chunk of hard maple wide enough for a chop
    20170219_171801.jpg

After installing the chop I was getting some binding. I radiused the "tail" and the "nose".
    20170219_194009.jpg

Seems to open and close fine now.
    20170219_194715.jpg

Almost Done

Bottom of bench slab from yesterday
    20170217_175019.jpg

Top of slab tonight after fourth coat of finish
    20170219_200517.jpg

Still have a few things to do and I will write a summary when I am completely done.

Kris

Getting to look rather pretty! The UHMW is totally unnecessary of course. It's the front edge of the chop that can bind on the spacer when you close the vise, you just round that edge a little. I blind dovetailed my back board for the tool tray, that is my non glued joint. When the tray and the bench top moves with the seasons that dovetail can 'slide'. It may need a tap once in a while as sloppy dovetails are not my thing. I had to make the dovetails blind as the cherry board I wanted to use was 1" too short!

First shavings on the bench

I still have a couple of things to do to it but last night I moved the bench into its working spot, and tonight I put her to work.

20170221_210641.jpg

I am in the process of re-jiggering my entire shop which initiated a much needed cleaning and organization binge. I will post some more pics in a few days.

Kris

Kris,

I want to compliment you on your excellent workmanship and well thought out process. Actually I wish I had this thread to read before I built mine as you brought out a few valuable points. I am especially intrigued by the hand wheel in place of the standard handle on the tail vise. If I had that to do over, I would splurge and go for a quick release.

I think any of us who have built this bench understand it is one of the more difficult benches to build (I think I lost 6months off my life installing the tail vise!) and we have, possibly as a result, a slightly greater appreciation. Not to take away from other style benches. I know my build was definitely at time a love/hate relationship. But it was well worth it. Every time I use my bench I appreciate it more and more and understand why it has passed the test of time.

Yes there are a few things lacking, and I've found as I use the bench a few jigs are needed. One thing I would change is the retractable plane stop. I think there need to be maybe 3 of them spaced across the bench for wider boards. I made the bench puppies for edge clamping (see article FWW). Also Mike Pekovitch has a good video on bench accessories.

My first project was this wall hanging tool cab. Enjoy the bench!
    ToolCabFin2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Robert Engel; 02-22-2017 at 7:58 AM.

Robert - thank you for the kind words. I have really enjoyed building the bench, and I appreciate your input along the way. I also built a wall hanging tool cabinet last year and there are many things I would have done different on that one. I do plan to write a lessons learned sort of summary of the bench build which I should probably get done before it gets away from me.

Regards,
    Kris

Kris I look forward to some more pictures. Make some new jigs, the icing on the cake!

Last Thing Taken Care of on Tail Vise

When I modified the tail vise for the hand wheel the hub on the wheel was shorter than the LN factory hub. I had a friend turn me a bushing from brass.

20170228_162439.jpg

Assembled wheel with bushing - works nice
    20170228_194410.jpg

-Kris-

I took an idea from Rob Cosman and decided to make a pullout tray for sharpening on the end of the bench.

First dovetails with the new shoulder vise
    20170310_221358.jpg

Maple framework for slide out. Runners are maple also. Runners bolted to underside of bench top with 1/4"-20 bolts in oversize holes (for adjustment)
    20170312_174653.jpg

Slab right-side-up with pullout
    20170312_175739.jpg

Sharpening setup with sharpening box shown built last summer (Bob Van Dyke's design from FWW). I didn't put the pullout as low as Cosman did on his but I am not using water stones and I don't think the little water I use will be an issue. The tray under the diamond stones goes in the box. I think I will make a narrower one so I can leave it set up without interfering with the tail vise wheel.
    20170312_175919.jpg

-Kris-

Ramps Completed Today - Bench is Officially Done

The ramps in the tool tray were the last thing I had to complete on the bench. I used solid walnut with the grain perpendicular to the tray. I was trying to figure out the best way to secure the ramps - and allow for movement of the bench slab. I went to Michaels this morning with an idea in my head and found some foam sheet that is about 1/4" and compresses down to about 1/16" with finger pressure - perfect. I put a piece on either side of the ramps and secured the ramps with magnets.

Magnets on end cap and tray floor
    20170313_195757 1.jpg

Foam cutouts and magnets on ramp piece
    20170313_195735.jpg

Finished ramp.
    20170313_195633.jpg

-Kris-

Nice ramps! The bench expansion/tool tray problem has found many solutions. Mine is also different, the tool tray is bolted to the back of the bench and the rear of the tray hangs in sliding half blind dovetails. I have no ramps, my tray is so deep I have open gaps at each end to sweep out.