Thread: Wall Mounted Media Cabinet

Blog Entries

Wall Mounted Media Cabinet

...For real this time, this one is actually going onto a wall

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/...sole%EF%BB%BF/

Enjoy, I look forward to your comments.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I love French cleats; strong & can be hidden. Did you cut holes for the wires yet?

Blog Entries
    I just love your work: Clean lines, clean joints, clean workbench... just clean all over! :-) Those dovetails are perfect. Well done. By the way, I'm not much of a fan of the Klausz style shoulder vise, but I love the way you executed it in your bench.

Thanks for posting Brian. When I've done french cleats in the past, I've aimed to have them flush to the wall. A reveal will be excellent for hiding slight variations in the wall, i.e., if it is not perfectly flat and will give the piece a sense of lightness because it will 'float'. Any other rationale for the reveal?

Looking forward to seeing!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    I love French cleats; strong & can be hidden. Did you cut holes for the wires yet?
    Thanks William! I will create s pass through for wires when installing the back. The good news is that it will not involve one of those plastic jobs often seen for such a need. The bad news; mine won't be quite so simple to install.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I just love your work: Clean lines, clean joints, clean workbench... just clean all over! :-) Those dovetails are perfect. Well done. By the way, I'm not much of a fan of the Klausz style shoulder vise, but I love the way you executed it in your bench.
    Thanks Malcolm! I have a love hate with the shoulder vise, the eventual next bench will not include one.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Thanks for posting Brian. When I've done french cleats in the past, I've aimed to have them flush to the wall. A reveal will be excellent for hiding slight variations in the wall, i.e., if it is not perfectly flat and will give the piece a sense of lightness because it will 'float'. Any other rationale for the reveal?

Looking forward to seeing!
    My pleasure! That is indeed the purpose. I plan to detail some specific thoughts on wall mounting the cleat along with the interaction between the two pieces.

Absolutely gorgeous work as always! Also, si that the Lie Nielsen tail vise on your bench? How has it held up for you in terms of sagging and work holding?

Blog Entries
    Thanks Chris! Works pretty well, no complaints.

Very nice, Brian. Is that a piece of firewood you're using with your holdfasts?

Blog Entries
    Thanks Phil! Hahaha, that poor mallet has seen much better days. I used it to uncrate my bandsaw and the damned thing split off about 1/4 section of it.

Not to worry, I have designs to build my own once my gumi logs dry down to a decent point.

Phil, did you mean the caul with the live edge or the mallet?

Ha...I actually meant the live edge caul...I would never, ever, poke fun at Brian's tools. But, I was tempted to say something like, "hey look, Brian even squares up his firewood"

Blog Entries
    Now I've shown how self conscious I am of that mallet.

Im tempted to wrap copper bands around the one that I make.