Thread: Super Dust Deputy Molded XL questions

Post Super Dust Deputy Molded XL questions

I broke down and ordered a Super Dust Deputy XL. I only have a 2HP Shop Fox dust collector, but I asked Oneida which one I should get and they said since I already had 6" ducts I should go with the XL.

So I am trying to get stuff together as best I can for when it gets here.
    I think I would like to mount the motor directly above the SDD, and would prefer to not use flex hose. I am also guessing? that the two won't slide together, and will need some sort of adapter. Will a standard 6" metal duct coupler work?

I have a ~15 gallon blue plastic food grade bucket with a clamp lid. Anyone use those? Do they hold up to the vacuum.

Most installations it looks like people attache the dust bin lid right to the bottom flange. I would prefer to have a short section of flex between the SDD and the Dust Bin to make it easier to lift the lid and slide the bin out. Anyone done that and happy with the way it turned out?

I saw a video where a guy removed the inlet guard from the dust collector and got better cfm. I imagine this is a something a lot of people would be against doing, but has anyone done it and seen an improvement, and working OK being above a cyclone?

I am sure I will have more questions as I start getting into it. At the same time I am going to be moving the Dust Collector and Compressor into a room I used to use for fermenting beer That means pulling all the ducts down from the ceiling and re routing them all But if it is quieter and cleaner I will be happy.

I can tell you that the ports on the XL will not accept a flex hose without an adapter or sleeve. I would have much preferred if they had made it a bit smaller and able to fit into a flex hose.

I don't see any problem with using flex hose above the SDD. The bottom of the SDD is a flange that is designed to bolt to the top of the drum. I think a 15 gallon will be too small - I have a 35 gallon - all I could fit in the space I had - and that's a bit small and has to be dumped fairly often.

But I wouldn't be afraid to put flex hose at the top of the SDD. That way, you can remove the drum top and only have to lift the SDD with the drum top.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

If your Shop Fox 2HP is the same fan inlet size as my Shop Fox 1.5HP then I would recommend cutting back the cross brace on the inlet and cutting/bending back the inlet reduction as well. This will give you a clear 6 inch inlet as the original is throttled to 5 inch. I believe this will fit straight onto the Dust Deputy XL outlet (at least mine did). For the Deputy inlet, you can either get a rubber plumbing coupling or get a metal fitting adapter for your 6 inch duct. At the bottom of the deputy, a lot of people connect this to a 3/4 plywood sheet and use a coupling underneath for a short run of flex into whichever collector you want to use. I agree with Mike - 15 gallon is going to fill very quickly if you are surfacing rough lumber. Most go for 35 or 55 gallon

I don't know anything about the shop fox DC but this is a link to my favorite 2hp DC upgrade with a Dust Deputy:

http://diytyler.com/2016/12/16/2-sta...ollector-hack/

I like the fact that he didn't use a whole lot of space. I would discharge outside instead of using the cartridge filter but if I heated and cooled the shop I would probably use the filter. Also note he has movable supports under the collection drum. That way, he can drop the drum to get it out for emptying. I've seen other designs this way.

I like using a rubber Fernco 6" fitting between the cyclone and your piping, as it reduces the vibration to your piping.

Kenton,

I would definitely remove the inlet restriction. It's there to try and prevent solid chunks of wood (or other) from striking the impeller when the blower is used as a single stage unit. With the SDD cyclone in front of the blower, it is extremely unlikely that anything of harmful size would be drawn through the cyclone and into the blower. If dust falls out of the airstream in the cyclone, so will chunks of wood. You can connect the blower and cyclone with any number of things. In my case I used an MDF "doughnut" to connect them. The doughnut replaces the side panel on the blower housing and was sized to fit the 6" inlet on the SDD. The blower just sits on top of the SDD and gravity holds it in place. However, I'm not sure you want to do that with the molded SDD. The blowers are heavy, and while the metal SDD may not have problems holding up a blower, it may be wise to use brackets to take the weight of the blower above a molded SDD.

I would use a larger bin. I think you would not be happy with one that small. I used a 35 gallon trash can with an MDF lid. I have no idea how the food bucket would hold up under the vacuum. Another poster had a thin metal trash can collapse, but that was with a Clearvue with a 5HP blower.

I did exactly what you are proposing to connect the bin and cyclone. The SDD is bolted to the cross-member and a short length of 6" flex hose connects the bin lid with the bottom of the SDD. The connectors are HVAC starting collars cut down as necessary.

I noticed in another post you mentioned you have 6" ducts, but have it necked down to 4" at the machines. I realize most manufacturers use 4" ports and it's sort of a standard, but they just don't pass enough air to work well with the DC's we generally use. You would see a significant gain in flow in your system if you upsized the ports at the machines to 6" and ran that size duct all the way to the DC. The cross section of a 4" pipe is less than half of a 6" and flows air accordingly.

SDD-PS blower-Wynn filter.jpgSDD-PS blower-Wynn Filter-2.jpgSDD-PS blower-Wynn Filter-3.jpgSDD-PS blower-Wynn Filter-4.jpgSDD-PS blower-Wynn Filter-5.jpgClose-up-of-Dust-bin.jpg
    Last edited by James Gunning; 01-05-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

I started taking down the ducting so I can move the DC, and I think the bag filter was so clogged that all the dc could do is get the dust up to the tubes. This is going to be nasty
    dust.jpg