Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comatic DC40.. finally here

Comatic DC40.. finally here

I have been after replacing the standard HD comatic 4 wheel feeder on our 7.5Hp Cantek shaper, with a DC40, ever since I saw the youtube video probably 2 years ago.

At the IFW in Atlanta last August, I finally got to see and handle the feeder at the show, and decided to order one. I deal with Akhurst Machinery (who deal Cantek) here in Canada, and they said they were going to order a batch for stock as well.

The container arrived in BC before Christmas, and they shipped my feeder by truck last week, just showed up today.

It didnt take me too long to get the old feeder off the shaper, and the new one mounted up and set up. With the exception of one small modification (had to mill off some of the base of the new "smart stand", to clear the shaper hood - I quickly did this on my milling machine in the shop) it took about an hour to set it up. Unlike the ones at the show, this one is painted a dark grayish green. I like it better than the fluorescent orange.. lol.

I ran a little stock before leaving for the day. So far, it is impressive. All 4 wheels are split (for getting close to a larger diameter cutter you remove 1/2 a wheel). The speed control (from 5 feet per minute to 72) works easily and reversing as well. I thought it might take a while to get used to the controls but they are going to be easy.

We run quite a bit of stock on edge (baseboards, casings, crown trim etc) and no more featherboards, trying to feed on top of the narrow edge of the stock, etc. Now with a quick turn of the feeder, you can go from horizontal to vertical in seconds. Very nice.

I know several members here have this feeder, and I was patiently waiting to get this one. We use the shaper daily for many functions in our shop. I think with both the easier adjustments, vertical capability and infinitely adjustable feeds (some times the stock gearing was either too fast or too slow) it will be very nice.

http://www.shopgearinc.com/products/...able-speed.php

Andrew J. Coholic

Congrats, Andrew - love mine

I bought two new feeders about a year and a half ago. I kick myself constantly for not getting one of those. Being able to really dial in the speed is the biggest appeal for me. The other is not caring about voltage. As I understand it, you don't have to spec that right?

Martin, runs off 110 or 220 single or 3 phase. I believe you still have to spec which voltage input you want on the order form

As far as I'm aware you can get 240v or 600v three phase, or 120v single.

My other two feeders (a cantek 3 and one 4 wheel ) are on 600v three phase. I run both voltages in the shop.

Since i I have a receptacle for 120v right beside the shaper I ordered it with that option. All the same cost. I figure if I ever move it I won't have to run another dedicated 3 phase circuit. They are supposed to be identical feeders otherwise.
    Andrew J. Coholic

The only other thing I want to change is flip the rear column lock handle to the outside of the machine. The stand is set up I think for left side mount. Since my other feeder was on the right, I put this one there. Everything is easily accessible but I'd rather have that locking handle on the outside.

I will I'll have to machine a plug that's threaded inside and out, to fill the clearance hole (which I'll tap) and then drill out the opposite side which currently is threaded for the supplied bolt that pinches the column locking it.

Its very handy to have a small "machine shop" in the wood shop- I have a few mills and a lathe - to make up stuff like this.

That stand and was an extra grand. But it seems like it will also be a bit more versatile and easier adjusting than the stock stand.
    Andrew J. Coholic

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew J. Coholic View Post
    As far as I'm aware you can get 240v or 600v three phase, or 120v single.

My other two feeders (a cantek 3 and one 4 wheel ) are on 600v three phase. I run both voltages in the shop.

Since i I have a receptacle for 120v right beside the shaper I ordered it with that option. All the same cost. I figure if I ever move it I won't have to run another dedicated 3 phase circuit. They are supposed to be identical feeders otherwise.
    I just wire mine straight to the shaper, bit if you had to add a drop, 120v

I have one of them wired to the shaper magnetic starter but you have to have the machine running to run the feeder so cant do a dry run. Guess it could be wired to the hot side of the magnetic starter now thinking about it that would be okay. Times I dont want to run the shaper just run the part first of all to see how it feeds
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 01-04-2017 at 11:19 PM.

My shaper is 240V three phase, the feeder I had on it was 600V three phase. So I needed two separate feeds and disconnects etc.

I have a mix of 240V three phase and 600V three phase in the shop. I know what you mean though, as in the old shop my shaper and feeder were both 600V, and fed from the same line.
    Andrew J. Coholic

One of these is on my shopping list for the year. Maybe of interest to some is Grizzly is importing a green version of the DC30 for $884 shipped (in the US) which is cheaper than the Co-Matic version. I wish they were importing the DC40 as well, maybe by the time I order they will.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Easy...r-Feeder/G0826

BTW Grizzly advertises it as coming with a Smart Stand but based on the price and the picture it comes with the standard stand. Also they copied their text from Co-Matic because they both made what I think is a mistake:
    • High-efficiency green technology (50% less power output than same size power feeder)

I think it should be 50% less power INPUT since having less power output would not speak to efficiency nor would it be much of a selling point.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 01-05-2017 at 12:55 AM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I think Joe got one of those as well, said nice things about it ..

Nice feeder Andrew, especially the split wheel feature.

I thought you might like the orange colour, kind of a safety guard colour....LOL.

Happy New year, regards, Rod.

Congrats on the feeder. I'm still waiting for them to get the many tiny wheeled short stock feeder into the states.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Nice feeder Andrew, especially the split wheel feature.

I thought you might like the orange colour, kind of a safety guard colour....LOL.

Happy New year, regards, Rod.
    I expected it to be orange.. I didnt love it but that kind of stuff doesnt mean much if anything to me. I was sort of happy opening the box though and finding it not orange.

I know Cantek brands the standard 3 and 4 wheel feeders from Co-matic with their badge. This one has the paper work as "Cantek" but still Co-matic on the actual feeder. I imagine, now that Akhurst/Cantek have decided to add these to their inventory, they will eventualy have a Cantek badge as well.

It was cheaper for me to order this through Akhurst, vs ordering from Shop-gear in the USA. Plus I have a good relationship with them, and I wasnt in a hurry since my other feeder was working fine.

Want to buy a good heavy duty 8 speed feeder? lol.
    Andrew J. Coholic

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    Congrats on the feeder. I'm still waiting for them to get the many tiny wheeled short stock feeder into the states.

Thats the DC70 shown on the Shopgear website? Did they have one in Atlanta? Looks very neat.

I wouldnt be on the computer during working hours, but I had to take the afternoon off as one of my boys is home sick and my wife is working days this week. I wish I was at the shop as I had some railing and other work to run through the shaper and wanted to fool around with it to get comfortable with both the feeder and the stand.
    Andrew J. Coholic