Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Comatic DC40.. finally here

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew J. Coholic View Post
    Thats the DC70 shown on the Shopgear website? Did they have one in Atlanta? Looks very neat.

I wouldnt be on the computer during working hours, but I had to take the afternoon off as one of my boys is home sick and my wife is working days this week. I wish I was at the shop as I had some railing and other work to run through the shaper and wanted to fool around with it to get comfortable with both the feeder and the stand.
    That's the one. I didn't go to Atlanta, but I asked them to put me on the list for that feeder. The Western Roller belt conversion works pretty well, but the belts need replacing once a year or so to keep it reliable. Variable speed would be nice for things like VG fir that want to splinter when running sticking.

I find that I need to actually take breaks, and lunch, these days. That's when I'm checking smc, etc.
    JR

I want one, just hard to justify for my shop when I have a perfectly good feeder. But every time I go from vertical to horizontal the want grows. The split wheel thing would be nice but I am pretty sure I saw some to fit the Univer I would put them on. The infinite variable would be sweet as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I want one, just hard to justify for my shop when I have a perfectly good feeder. But every time I go from vertical to horizontal the want grows.
    That is 90% of what swayed me to go for it. Just for the amount of stock we run on edge will make it worth while. Our other feeder was working just fine. I figure I can try and sell it, but Ill probably just keep it in case this one goes down. Swaping them out would be quick.

Where I am, it would be hard to sell locally. Not too many shops have shapers here. They are all making boxes and not much else.
    Andrew J. Coholic

4. I also have the DC40 and I just made my first set of Shaker doors for frameless cabinets. I got the 110V version. It is mounted to a Powermatic 27 shaper that was originally 5hp 3 phase. I converted it to single phase with a GK3000 variable frequency drive. This is one of the few converters that will convert 5hp. I ran the shaper at 45hz from listening to the sound. I could go up to 50hz but I'm not sure what the actual speed is. It sounds really fast. The belt is on the bottom pulley. How do you convert hz to actual speed? Should I leave the DC40 suspended in the air when I'm not using it? I have it resting on a cloth for now, but I was wondering if the weight will tend to flatten the rubber wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Feathers View Post
    How do you convert hz to actual speed?
    One easy way is to use a digital tachometer which can be bought for less than $10 on Amazon or Ebay or HF. Alternatively (easier?) the formula isRPM = (120 * Frequency) / # of poles in the motor. Check with your VFD manufacturer to be sure.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Pretty sure in industry they have RPM meters,. simple one you just press on a shaft and ir reads it by turning. Then some guys have digital read outs on their VFD set ups have seen some posts on drill presses, looks very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    Martin, runs off 110 or 220 single or 3 phase. I believe you still have to spec which voltage input you want on the order form
    I ordered some new tires the other day from Shop Gear, (great to deal with btw), and I asked about the voltage. He said that it's just a matter of opening a cover and switching taps for different voltages. They don't have one that can be run on 480V though which is a bummer. 120V drops are cheap to put in though.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Feathers View Post
    I also have the DC40 and I just made my first set of Shaker doors for frameless cabinets. I got the 110V version. It is mounted to a Powermatic 27 shaper that was originally 5hp 3 phase. I converted it to single phase with a GK3000 variable frequency drive. This is one of the few converters that will convert 5hp. I ran the shaper at 45hz from listening to the sound. I could go up to 50hz but I'm not sure what the actual speed is. It sounds really fast. The belt is on the bottom pulley. How do you convert hz to actual speed? Should I leave the DC40 suspended in the air when I'm not using it? I have it resting on a cloth for now, but I was wondering if the weight will tend to flatten the rubber wheels.

Sorry I have nothing to add re the frequency. For the feeder I set the feed speed from experience and from the results of the cut.

We have several feeders. Always left them where they were last run, no need to lower anything down. Those mounts are pretty heavy duty.. and the new feeder is quite a bit lighter than the other two I have with standard size motors.
    Andrew J. Coholic

So far the feeder has been extensively run since mounting it up. It is imo well worth the cost. The stand is also very user friendly and I don't think I'd be able to return to the old one now!
    Andrew J. Coholic

I don't know what type of VFD you have, some can be programed to display spindle speed.
    I have an excel spreadsheet that will calculate the motor rpm as well as the spindle rpm by entering the Hertz into the cornet cells. I print off a copy and hang it on the wall behind the machine.
    I can't seem to post an excel file here, but if you pm me your e-mail address I will send you a copy.
    Spindle RPM Calculator.JPG

Isn't there another quick change over feeder that runs on line voltage? I was looking at one a year or so ago, and I do not think this is the one, but I could be wrong, it happens.

http://www.wegoma.de/power-feeder-variomatic-3n.html

I remembered..... This one is available as a head unit so I can use my Univer stand, love the big cast cranks on my old stand.
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 02-23-2017 at 5:29 AM.

Andrew, I was wondering if you could do me a favor. I almost ordered one then was out in the shop and remembered a problem that I am having with the Univer on my double spindle Unitronix.

So..... My spindles are 30" apart,, feeder mounted in the middle about 16" back from the average fence setting. When I an working on the left hand spindle with the feeder in a vertical position I can not get a wheel on the other side of the opening in the fence, It works fine on the right spindle because of the way the knuckles fold giving me more distance on the right than the left. The switch box and capacitors will not let me do it on the other side as much as I try.

You had the same feeder as I have now, so you may know what I mean although without a double spindle you would not have run into it. If you would could you take a look at your new feeder and the way it folds and see if it is losing reach on the left side as well? I sure would appreciate it.

I thought about running two feeders but as I only use one spindle at a time it seems a waste, and I would like to mount the Univer on a PM66 for a dedicated rip saw.

Thanks, Larry

Andrew, I was wondering if you could do me a favor. I almost ordered one then was out in the shop and remembered a problem that I am having with the Univer on my double spindle Unitronix.

So..... My spindles are 30" apart,, feeder mounted in the middle about 16" back from the average fence setting. When I an working on the left hand spindle with the feeder in a vertical position I can not get a wheel on the other side of the opening in the fence, It works fine on the right spindle because of the way the knuckles fold giving me more distance on the right than the left. The switch box and capacitors will not let me do it on the other side as much as I try.

You had the same feeder as I have now, so you may know what I mean although without a double spindle you would not have run into it. If you would could you take a look at your new feeder and the way it folds and see if it is losing reach on the left side as well? I sure would appreciate it.

I thought about running two feeders but as I only use one spindle at a time it seems a waste, and I would like to mount the Univer on a PM66 for a dedicated rip saw.

Thanks, Larry
    Larry
    I know what you mean. I'm sure the new style feeder support would remedy that. The arm with the rack gear is much longer to give the feeder a far greater reach out front. On mine I used the tube/gear from my old feeder as the new tube came separately a few days after the main boxes arrived. In my case it works ok but the new tube is much longer. I can measure next week when I'm back in the shop. I'm currently visiting my parents with my kids this weekend in another community.
    Andrew J. Coholic

Isn't there another quick change over feeder that runs on line voltage? I was looking at one a year or so ago, and I do not think this is the one, but I could be wrong, it happens.

http://www.wegoma.de/power-feeder-variomatic-3n.html

I remembered..... This one is available as a head unit so I can use my Univer stand, love the big cast cranks on my old stand.

Larry,
    I have both the DC 40 and the Wegoma Variomatic 4 in my shop. The Wegoma is a bit of a mystery as that one does not show up in any Comatic information. I think Comatic must make it exclusively for Wegoma or possibly Wegoma has it made by someone else and uses Comatic's smart stand. Wegoma's is heavier built with all metal parts, runs on line voltage, has a mechanical digital height readout and the vari speed is via manual twisting the back knob. I like it better than the DC 40 but in function there is no difference and the Wegoma gets pretty expensive. I reto fitted the DC40 onto my Martin T26 power feed arm. My only complaint is because of the vary feed I have to push 2 buttons to turn it on. Getting used to that.

Be aware if you buy just the feeder they do not fit the Univer tube. The smart stand vs the Univer stand in my opinion is worth the money if you do a lot of setups. It is quicker and easier to adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew J. Coholic View Post
    I have been after replacing the standard HD comatic 4 wheel feeder just showed up today.

Andrew,
    Have two of these in our cart at the moment swapping out a couple other feeders and moving one to a saw. I cant imagine not being over the moon with these but wondering what your thoughts are after working with the feeder for nearly a year. I thought hard about going with the dc70 for one of them but I dont think we do enough shorts to justify a dedicated feeder.

I just sit there and droole watching the videos of the DC40 and can only imagine the increased speed in position changes from flat to vertical. The cost of the smart stand is a bit to bear but it seems like the only way to go.

Thanks