Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help making table saw top

Need help making table saw top

Hey guys,

I'm new to the wood working world but I am not new to using power tools. My fathers used to have me help him a lot when I was a kid when he would make things using his shopsmith Mark IV. Long story short I biught a house and throughout the process of renovation work it has sparked my interest in fine woodworking. I currently have a craftsman 10" EVO table saw but it just doesn't cut it. The miter guide is wobbly and the fence rarely sets square. So before I go and drop a ton of money on a new saw I'd like to modify this one and get my feet wet first. Can anyone point me in the right direction to try to make my own top for it? What kind of materials should I use? Where should I buy my t-track etc. Also, I've read were people just create and overlay for their current saw top but I want to take mine off and completely build a new top. Any advice or links to how tos would be greatly appreciated.

Nick, you would be much better off upgrading to a better table saw than trying to turn the EVO into something that you can rely on to make fine woodworking with.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I agree with Bruce. Check Craigslist in your area. You can probably buy something better than what you have for less money than it would take to modify the top on yours.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Thanks for the comments but I don't see any reason to completely move away from this saw. The guts of the saw are great and it has plenty of power. The only thing I don't like for what I am currently doing is the fence and the miter gauge. I bought a new miter gauge "the incra v27" to try to remedy the situation but it doesn't fit the current track system on the saw top. hence why I want to modify the top.

The problem becomes how to manufacture a more accurate tabletop with the tools that you have…

I agree with the others, start watching craigslist to see what comes up. My latest score was a Laguna bandsaw for less than 1/3 the price of new. I turned around and sold my Craftsman bandsaw for about half what I paid for the Laguna and am well beyond what I could have ever done to upgrade the Craftsman and at a lot less cost than buying new fences and such for it.

I've got plenty of tools between the other tools I have and the tools available in my dads shop. Just looking for a point in the right direction as far as what materials are best. I can figure out what I want to make from there.

if i understand these cheaper direct drive saws, the motor/trunion is attached to the table. to put a new t slot on top you will either have to remove the current table and remount the trunion or put something over it that is at least 3/4 thick. remounting the trunion to a sheet of plywood or similar sounds like a safety issue to me. this will reduce your total height of cut by that thickness. you will spend more than the price of this saw on a new fence, and it is unlikly to mount to this saws table. I am really not sure how you would mount it to a second table that is over the original table and keep everything aligned. whatever you end up doing, good luck and welcome.

Blog Entries
    I think you may be having a hard time getting a good answer because there really may not be one. The direct drive and table mounted trunnion nature of the saw's design make building your own top problematic. I don't think we are trying to avoid helping, it just isn't a very realistic idea IMHO. Maybe someone who has done something similar will chime in.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Boehm View Post
    I've got plenty of tools between the other tools I have and the tools available in my dads shop. Just looking for a point in the right direction as far as what materials are best. I can figure out what I want to make from there.
    Are you thinking of a wood top? Or does your father’s shop have metalworking equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I think you may be having a hard time getting a good answer because there really may not be one. The direct drive and table mounted trunnion nature of the saw's design make building your own top problematic. I don't think we are trying to avoid helping, it just isn't a very realistic idea IMHO. Maybe someone who has done something similar will chime in.
    Pretty much this. I couldn’t find a Craftsman EVO tablesaw, but did find the Evolv:

6955121_3AX17MGES.jpg

Is that what you’re talking about?

As Glenn says, you’re going to run into issues replacing the table as the trunnion is mounted to it. Further, the cabinet is pretty lightweight - I’m guessing plastic - with a stamped sheetmetal table. It’s pretty lightweight all around and as you beef up one part, you’re going to start running into the limitations of the next.

I did a quick search for Craftsman tablesaws on my local craigslists and turned up a dozen of them ranging from $50 to $300. The older ones like this:

DSCN3153.jpg

That’ll get you a solid steel table and cast wings, better fence system, and more solid base. Spend some time cleaning and truing it up and you’ll be lightyears ahead rather than trying to cobble together something.

I looked at craigslist but not a whole lot to choose from in my area. Anyone have any ideas for widening the existing track to fit the incra miter gauge? The craftsman track is about a a 32nd too narrow

Hi Nick,
    I have never seen a shop built table saw before, but a quick look on youtube shows a bunch of people who have built them. Many bolt a new plywood top to an existing saw, like you mentioned, but a couple of them built a full cabinet and top and fence from plywood and MDF. I cant vouch for the accuracy or safety of these saws, but you are not alone in wanting to build one. Search youtube using "make tablesaw top" and there are several videos that might give you the information you are looking for. I hope that it is helpful.
    Thanks
    Scott

Is your saw the Evolv? It would help those attempting to provide answers to know what you’re dealing with.

SearchTempest is a good way to go through any nearby craigslist postings: http://www.searchtempest.com/

It’s probably easier to machine down the miter gauge than try to machine out the tracks.

Just make your own miter gauge to fit the size of the slot you already have. Use a hardwood runner and attach it to a shop made fence. You could also make a sled.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Boehm View Post
    Anyone have any ideas for widening the existing track to fit the incra miter gauge? The craftsman track is about a a 32nd too narrow
    Craftsman saws have always had smaller than standard (3/4") miter slots.
    The best thing to do would be to take it to a machine shop.

If the top is aluminum, though, you could use a router and straightedge to widen it. Just make very shallow passes, and make sure you have a very straight straightedge.
    Gerry

JointCAM

What are you planning on making? Furniture? Cabinets? ???