Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caskets - The Ulitmate DIY?

Rockler has this plan, plus all the hardware: http://www.rockler.com/wood-casket-plan. Been trying to talk my better half into us building a set of these, but she thinks we're immortal, as she freaks out over it anytime I bring it up. I told her we could store them in the barn, and if I felt the big one coming, I could just go out and lay in it and the hard part would be done. Or, besides Cosco, Walmart also sells them online. In my research where I live, casket vaults are not required under state law, unless you die from one of a few listed communicable diseases. Some cemeteries require vaults under their own rules, as it's something else they sell the family at a ridiculous price.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Henry View Post
    Rockler has this plan, plus all the hardware: http://www.rockler.com/wood-casket-plan. Been trying to talk my better half into us building a set of these, but she thinks we're immortal, as she freaks out over it anytime I bring it up. I told her we could store them in the barn, and if I felt the big one coming, I could just go out and lay in it and the hard part would be done. Or, besides Cosco, Walmart also sells them online. In my research where I live, casket vaults are not required under state law, unless you die from one of a few listed communicable diseases. Some cemeteries require vaults under their own rules, as it's something else they sell the family at a ridiculous price.
    The reason they require vaults is because they use a tractor with a backhoe to dig the graves. Without a vault, the tractor could collapse a grave as it's moving to dig the new grave site.

Regarding immortality, William Saroyan is reputed to have said, "Everybody has to die, but I always believed an exception would be made in my case."

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I made a nice box for my parents ashes using pieces of wood from trees and buildings that were meaningful to them. I'll let someone else make one for mine, thanks. A mason jar would do nicely, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    you might look into caskets for Orthodox Jews. I think they have very specific requirements for the wood and how it's made. As I recall, they have to be very simple with no metal fasteners. I think the idea to to fully realize the notion of going back to the earth. The cost of entry into that niche wouldn't be much.
    I believe they have to be buried on bare earth, meaning even if there's a vault, it can't have a bottom.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Roy Underhill showed how to build a pine coffin on one of his shows. The ins and outs of grain direction and of course hand tools were interesting. I imagine this is available on U-Tubr or......?