Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What wood for shutters that will take abuse from the elements?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Shawn, you live in California and fir grows there. Malcolm is near Gilligan's Island. I live in VA and the 12 /4 fir we used to use for thick doors had to be custom ordered by our local supplier then sent to another place to be dried before being brought here. I agree your choice is good if affordable. The fir was slab and rift. I would always mark the bark side as " must be installed this side to exterior or warranty is void" both sides of the shutters will be exposed to weather
    Malcolm asked and Doug Fir was on his list and I expressed my opinion. Why is this a problem? He and all others are welcome to take this opinion or not. I have no dog in the fight.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    I can get Douglas Fir from two suppliers in the states that I order from and shipping isn't as bad as you might think. Ocean shipping is cheap. The land shipping to the dock usually costs e most! I love working with it and it's a beautiful wood.

I can get ribbon stripe mahogany locally for $8/bft, but it is prone to warping and also I just hate to paint such a beautiful wood. Varnish is not an option. The 2nd story shutters are 25 feet up and I don't want to deal with constantly varnishing them.

My my supplier in Fort Lauderdale has cypress. I think that may be my choice.

Have high respect for you and don't see it as any problem. Sorry I was not more careful in wording. Malcolm needs a material to finish 2" and I was relating how we basically had to commission that fir as it was not a stock item. Since the material is grown relatively close to you ,you have a better chance of buying it. I remember too that there were times we couldn't buy any redwood and were told "right now none is being sent out of California"...I think that meant that Californians could buy it. Stay well !!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I can get Douglas Fir from two suppliers in the states that I order from and shipping isn't as bad as you might think. Ocean shipping is cheap. The land shipping to the dock usually costs e most! I love working with it and it's a beautiful wood.

I can get ribbon stripe mahogany locally for $8/bft, but it is prone to warping and also I just hate to paint such a beautiful wood. Varnish is not an option. The 2nd story shutters are 25 feet up and I don't want to deal with constantly varnishing them.

My my supplier in Fort Lauderdale has cypress. I think that may be my choice.
    Yeah I would not want to varnish them either, that is a high maintenance project. Painted fir sounds like a nice choice, and just as nice to work with.

I've had really good luck with Honduran mahogany, it has not given me grief, but I know a few people who've had trouble with african mahogany and weird movement.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.