Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with old damaged T&G floor

Help with old damaged T&G floor

Hello before I start the cabs, I need to understand if I need to replace/add a new floor or I can restore it. I love the old T&G floor but there are huge gaps between the planks, some pieces are broken or missing (max 10"x5"), there are holes due to an insulation job underneath (cellulose is coming out the gaps as well), etc. I would love to have a modern Plywood floor or keep the one I have finding matching pieces and restore it. While I can go about the first option, I do not know where to start with the second one. I have no idea what pine it is and how to treat a new pine to look like the old one. The house was built in 1939. Here the pictures, the rough floor is the actual attic floor. The last one is the plywood floor I will install if I cannot fix the existing one. I will add the ply to the existing floor (cross direction). Thanks for helping
    Attached Images Attached Images

Reworking the 1939 floor will be very time consuming, and the reworked floor may not look the way you want it. Will the plywood floor stand up to the kitchen traffic, spills, etc.?

It is not a kitchen but an attic (office/storage), no shoes allowed. It is sad because everybody who saw the attic said that the floor is very nice. Rustic but nice. It does not have to be perfect but I was hoping I could identify the pine and try to antique it thanks

Your best shot at keeping the existing floor would be to identify areas you could remove (storage? closet?) to use for patching. It is unlikely you could get new boards to look similar. My house is only 50 years old but it was originally a cabin with inside walls of T@G pine. They have been darkened by the sun where pictures were. I tried using some orange shellac on new boards but didn't get close. These were walls so there was no ground in dirt. Your floors have been darkened by the sun but also have ground in dirt affecting their appearance. Very difficult to duplicate.

What is the width of the flooring? You might find some used flooring that would match from a salvage company, or even at a jobsite where someone is removing an old building about the age of your house. I took down an old church a few years ago and used the t&g flooring in my shop.

I would guess that the original flooring is douglas fir (DF). My home is also from '39 and is done in DF and I was in a very similar position to you. I would up buying a few pieces of modern new DF floor and using a complicated finishing schedule to match the new wood to the old. It turned out well enough, but some of the color adjustments I did to the new wood were done via glazing over the finish as the floor was being done so scratches in the finish take off color. It's repairable, but time consuming.

I had to replace some flooring in a home built in the '30's. I searched around and found someone that had old barn boards from a building built around the same time using local sourced wood just as the home was.

Obviously it looked "new" because the whole floor wasn't re finished but the grain and wood type were the same. These floors were varnished but I think given a little time they will not stand out at all.

Agree with Brian, it looks like Douglas Fir. Assuming "cabs" means cabinets and that you plan to cover some if not a significant amount of the flooring with cabinets. That might give you enough salvaged material to replace any flooring that doesn't pass muster. That could mean individual piece removal and replacement or complete reshuffling. But removing the flooring, sorting it, re-milling, and reinstalling is a significant amount of work. And frankly that plywood floor in the last photo is also attractive ... at least from the distance of the photo. As others have said, replicating that finish will be a challenge.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

You could always pull the floor, keep the wood, and use it for other projects...a feature wall might be a nice homage to the original wood for example.

What did you exactly do? I do not have much to replace, so I might give it a try. The worst part are the knot holes, some of them are 1.5 diameter.

I like the plywood floor you picked out. What brand is it? Is this something you can get at HD? Lowes? Menards??

I wound up making a test panel of new wood and one of old wood. I developed a finishing schedule that gave me satisfactory results on both panels and the proceeded with the repair and finishing of the floor. I wound up pretreating the floor with a water wash, screening, 5% BLO in MS, a mix of TransTint dyes to get the color I wanted, 2 coats Waterlox, some GF gel stain to even out the color between old and new wood, 2 more coats Waterlox satin.

One could probably get away with only coloring the new wood, but my old wood was more yellow than I wanted so I decided to tint the whole thing.

would love to see some pictures of it finished!

Well, if you google Plywood floors, you will find tons of picture. I used one of them to add the pic to my post. The choices are infinite. I have seen 1/4 maple plywood and sand pine underlayment ply in different projects. I actually used some underlayment (very well sanded by the factory) to try and I really like it but it was too thin for my project. You can check: http://centsationalgirl.com/2014/02/...rs/#more-39345 and http://littlegreennotebook.com/2014/...-plywood.html/ as example. I have nothing to do with both websites. I hope it helps.
    Laura

While I am familiar with GF (love them all), I do not know what "5% BLO in MS" means...BLO is Boiled Linseed Oil but what about the rest?...sorry I am a newbie. Thanks