Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hollow Form Tips Please

Blog Entries
    Ken , welcome to Sawmill .

Very nice work on the hollow forms. Will someone define "hollow forms" vs vases, pots, SW forms ect. please. Confused. (easily)

A hollow form is hollowed thru a small hole as opposed to just drilled.

Quote Originally Posted by robert baccus View Post
    Very nice work on the hollow forms. Will someone define "hollow forms" vs vases, pots, SW forms ect. please. Confused. (easily)
    As Dane said, a hollow form has the inside removed through a small hole, sometimes not much larger than the shaft of the tool. This can be challenging and physically strenuous and stressful when turning a thin wall. People use various things such as big sturdy frames to constrain the torque, and lasers and camera tricks to help "see" the tool location.

A "vase" usually has a wider mouth and is a lot easier to turn unless it is large. Some use glass or plastic inserts to hold water for live flowers.

I generally think of a "pot" as a deep bowl with a wide mouth. Others may have different definitions.

A "weed pot" is a small vessel often used for small dried or fake flowers, usually made by turning the outside then drilling a simple hole to hold a stem or two.

A "box" is usually fairly small, has a lid, often snug fitting. A larger box might also be called a "lidded bowl", especially if it has a bowl-like shape. The Beads of Courage boxes woodturners make for children being treated for cancers can be anything large enough with a lid.

A "form" can be anything.

I'm not sure what "SW" stands for. Seems like I used to know but forgot. South West, Say What, Small/Wide, Sorry Wood?

Someone could write a glossary, however different people sometimes call the same thing by different names. I call all mine "turnings".

JKJ

Roger that John--SW as in Southwestern--same as pueblo bowls/vases/pots ect.