Thread: Best adhesive to glue plastic laminate to MDF?

Best adhesive to glue plastic laminate to MDF?

What is the best adhesive to use to glue Formica or similar laminate to MDF or to plywood?

Thanks,

Len

Contact cement is the best adhesive for this task. Coat both the laminate and the substrate (mdf or plywood) and let dry. Space out 1/4" dowel rods 12-18" apart on the substrate, then lay the laminate on the dowels. Start from the middle pulling out the dowels and forcing the laminate down on the substrate until you work your way off of both ends. Be sure to not skip the pressure anywhere or you will have air trapped making a bulge.

Solvent based contact. Cement
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

If it is for yourself I would use UF also known plastic resin glue. Call the laminate glue mfg. And ask THEM how long the contact cement will hold. That whole industry depends on style and color changes being the big marketing factor ,not product durability.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Solvent based contact cement, apply as described by Lewis but I would use thicker spacers, more like 1" don't have to be round either.

Good ol' yellow glue. It sticks to the back like it sticks to wood. I apply the formica in a vacuum press, just like I apply veneer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Good ol' yellow glue. It sticks to the back like it sticks to wood. I apply the formica in a vacuum press, just like I apply veneer.
    Yes ,I should have mentioned that ,too. For anyone who doesn't have vacuum stuff I think the UF is better because it requires little pressure and has long open time. You can do one piece by placing a caul, putting spring clamps around edges and a weight in the middle. Glue will pull the laminate down . Needs thin coat on both surfaces.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    Solvent based contact. Cement
    Yes, much much better than the water based stuff.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I've laid lots of formica, and almost always used the flammable glue. The non-flammable a few times, both hold the laminate down. Used some weldwood latex once, and it was ok as well. Never tried titebond. Tried a can of Maclinburg duncan once, it did not hold at all. Called the company and they gave me a box of caulking for the gallon of glue. Downside of the flammable contact adhesive, is you should wear a respirator, as the stuff is nasty. At least apply it outdoors if you have no respirator.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Applied lots of Formica. The yellow glue I buy in big drums. It has a long open time, great for large areas and economical. It sticks really well. Just pile chipboard on top for weight while it dries. Biggest counter I did was 18 ft. You just cant do that with a contact adhesive just too big and awkward.

The contact cement route is quicker for small areas. I use a spray system for high temperature resistance. It is expensive and the spray nozzle is not cheap, about $600 to start but that's a lot of glue. It can release a bit in places over time and application takes some practice, but generally OK.

Go yellow glue if you can, much easier.