Thread: Trade Journals

Question Trade Journals

A question for the professional cabinet makers in the forum. In my semi-retirement transition from 30+ years as a custom home builder, trim carpenter and cabinet maker to my next 30 years as just a cabinet maker, I'm wondering what your go to trade journal(s) is/are?

I just have a one man custom shop (and LOML will do finishing) and expect to build only 6-8 full sets/yr plus odds n ends. Still, I like to keep up on latest and greatest and trends.

Thanks!
    Tim

Let me sum up the modern trade journal content for you. I won't even charge ya for my synopsis.
    CNC, exotic chemistry, restrictive environmental regs, OSHA (mostly good stuff), legal responsibilities, and adds for expensive stuff.
    There! You've got today's news.
    Not tryin' to be a downer by any means, but we small shop guys just have to muddle through.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

My perspective.. for what its worth.

I have been a small shop (between 4000 and 6000 square foot facility, usually 3 or 4 of us working, your mix of entry level industrial gear, work wise a mix of cabinetry, millwork and residential furniture - what I'd call a general woodworking shop) employee, and owner for the past 22 years.

My philosophy is to try and incorporate "big shop" methods as much as I can, in terms of eliminating hand work and improving accuracy and repeatability - while staying within the budget restraints of running a small shop.

The trade magazines, which are basically advertising for the companies that sell machinery and supplies to our industry - are free, and I do read them cover to cover. I always pick up "something"... and I feel, since it is a free service to me, I will take the time to read the mags and if I can come away with some little tidbit it is worth my time. Also, it is a good way to keep in tune with the overall technology in terms of tooling, new hardware, etc.

These are the ones I get:

http://www.fdmcdigital.com/

http://www.woodworkingcanada.com/r5/home.asp

http://www.woodindustry.ca/

http://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/Closets

http://w.woodshopnews.com/

Some are Canadian, some are US based. If I had to choose one, FDM+C (which has been around in various iterations for decades) is a general all around magazine. Covers everything from the small guys like me to the largest players in the industry. Woodworking Canada is very nice, I think it is the best all around trade publication. I am sure they cater to the US as well.

Hope that helps.
    Andrew J. Coholic

Bill, you covered that in a beautiful and succinct manner.

Hey everyone is different. But, I have learned a ton of very valuable info over the years. From procedures (including things pertaining to finishing, rough lumber processing, sanding, etc) to companies that sell something I was having a hard time looking to buy (tooling, hardware) to even showcasing a new tool I was unaware about, that I ended up buying and incorporating into my business (Lamello Zeta and Clamex connectors for instance).

They are free after all. And every shop bathroom needs reading materials any how!
    Andrew J. Coholic

Woodshop News isn't free down here. Am I missing something?

They send free ones to commercial shops, or used to. After bringing them home regularly I subscribed for a couple years and did see some good material. And that includes ads that appeared when I actually needed to buy something.

I get FDMC ( anybody know what that stands for?), Closets and woodshop news.

I agree with Andrew - they're free and I always learn something

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    I get FDMC ( anybody know what that stands for?), Closets and woodshop news.

I agree with Andrew - they're free and I always learn something
    Back in my teenage years (1980s) I remember we used to get Furniture Design & Manufacturing (FDM) and also another magazine called simply Cabinetmaking. They merged in later years, and were called "Furniture Design & manufacturing Plus Cabinetmaking".

Years later that got shortened to simply FDM&C and now just "FDMC" (although the "C" has a small "+" on it.

As for the Woodshop News, they dont send them out of the USA for free (Id have to pay shipping) but the digital version is free, so I just read it on the ipad or computer.
    Andrew J. Coholic

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew J. Coholic View Post
    Hey everyone is different. But, I have learned a ton of very valuable info over the years. From procedures (including things pertaining to finishing, rough lumber processing, sanding, etc) to companies that sell something I was having a hard time looking to buy (tooling, hardware) to even showcasing a new tool I was unaware about, that I ended up buying and incorporating into my business (Lamello Zeta and Clamex connectors for instance).

They are free after all. And every shop bathroom needs reading materials any how!
    Thanks for that list Andrew. The snow is dumping (yeah!) and I'm between jobs, that'll give me something to look at. Also, I've been self-employed for decades and find your observations to be spot on. A successful business owner never stops learning.

Yep, Bill, I've dealt with everything in your "synopsis" and much, much more. It's all part of being a business owner. BUT, that's one of many reasons why 1-1/2 yrs ago I sold everything and moved from the grossly over-regulated and business oppressive WA State to Idaho. Started my simple, Podunk, Mom & Pop cabinet shop last year which I’m finding to be the easiest, least stressful and least regulated business of my life, and I’ve owned several. Frankly, I'm having a ball! Don't have time to "muddle"...never did. Of course, I've always been a glass-is-half-full kind of guy.

Only one I get is FDMC and agree with the sentiments already mentioned.....always learn a little something. Even if you only read the Q&A with the "Wood DR." it's worth having them.

JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bueler View Post
    Thanks for that list Andrew. The snow is dumping (yeah!) and I'm between jobs, that'll give me something to look at. Also, I've been self-employed for decades and find your observations to be spot on. A successful business owner never stops learning.

Yep, Bill, I've dealt with everything in your "synopsis" and much, much more. It's all part of being a business owner. BUT, that's one of many reasons why 1-1/2 yrs ago I sold everything and moved from the grossly over-regulated and business oppressive WA State to Idaho.
    Started my simple, Podunk, Mom & Pop cabinet shop last year which I’m finding to be the easiest, least stressful and least regulated business of my life, and I’ve owned several. Frankly, I'm having a ball! Don't have time to "muddle"...never did. Of course, I've always been a glass-is-half-full kind of guy.

The snow is certainly falling here... but thats life in the "great white north".. lol.

You know, I dont think dont come away with at least one thing learned from anything I pick up and read pertaining to the business. But I am always looking to learn and improve. Ive been that way my whole career and don't see things changing. I like to try and be as efficient as I can afford to be, lol.
    Andrew J. Coholic

Darn it Andrew, why didn't your parents name you "Al"? I know you've been hearing this since high school......sorry.