Thread: Quick little project

Quick little project

Just a quick little project.

Not a whole lot of furniture and smaller scale work for me at the moment. I finished some details on a bench or two, and have done some finishing up with chisels and scrapers, chamfered edges for cabinets with planes, etc.

So, since I haven't been building much with hand tools lately, so thought I'd just make a quick and dirty box to get my hand back in.

The result: A raised panel style large candle box in pine, 8 x 16x 5 1/2" tall. BLO finish. Will likely store some sort of tools or tooling. Not really pretty, but functional.

What have y'all done to keep a hand in when there aren't projects to keep your skills sharp?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

That looks nice.

Your picture of the planes show things I don't have, so I probably shouldn't ask this question, but how did you cut the raised panels and that indentation for your hand?
    Last edited by Bill McCarthy; 01-11-2017 at 5:27 PM.

Nice work Matt! I love small box projects.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks, Folks.

The recess for opening the box was done with a carving gouge and a straight chisel.

The fielding is pretty simple. I used a Stanley 45 to mark out the the raised portion of the panel, then used a Stanley #4 and #6 to plane the edges of the board down to an angle. I don't have many pictures of the process, but here are the panels after using the #45.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Its the Stanley 45 that I don't have. Probably why I couldn't understand how you did it.