Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Split Top Roubo

Split Top Roubo

Started 4 months ago and finally done (for now)!
    IMG_7234.jpg

Went with traditional joints for the leg and draw bored caps (since I didn't bother flattening/thicknessing the bottom of the slabs).
    IMG_7241.jpg

Reclaimed Philippine mahogany back and hard maple front slabs. Finished with equal parts danish oil, wipe on poly, and mineral spirits.
    IMG_7244.jpg

Laminated 2x4 Douglas Fir legs and stretchers with draw bored mortise and tenon.
    IMG_7248.jpg

Benchcrafted leg vise and criss cross, looking at the photo now seems screw alignment is slightly off but able to fully open and close with a good spin. Lined with cork.
    IMG_7277.jpg

Veritas quick release sliding tail vise with a 3.5" thick jaw.
    IMG_7275.jpg

Black Bear forge 3/4" hold fasts. Top is 3" and change thick, but tried on the 4" thick leg and held well in both cases. I messed up one of the dog holes and ended up drilling at an angle. No fault of the hold fast but with a skewed dog hole, the barbed veritas hold down performed much better.
    IMG_7271.jpg

Need to get some other projects done first but plan on adding an insert for the split and a sliding deadman. Pretty excited to pound some stuff on the new bench.

Double post...

mos maiorum,
    Andy
    Last edited by Andy Nichols; 01-06-2017 at 5:19 PM.

Great looking bench, you should be very proud, and only 4 months, that's amazing ( to me )

Have built and helped build a couple of benchs with wagon style end vises, but decided to go with a LN tail vise on my new bench, and absolutely love it....

Also have a BC Crisscross, it requires some "toe in" to work properly, believe that's what you're seeing.

mos maiorum,
    Andy

Blog Entries
    Excellent build. I love the mahogany and dovetailed through tenon.

Looks great.

SMC inspired me to stop procrastinating, so I started mine just after Christmas.

Beautiful bench! I look forward to seeing the sliding deadman when complete

Zuye,

4 months is a speed record! Looks great and I hope you enjoy yours as much I have enjoyed mine. Thanks for posting and will look forward to seeing your next project.

Best,
    Chris

Great stuff ZZ. Outstanding! The first photo with the tool cabinets nearby says you are ready to go.
    David

I will say it again. In general i really really like this bench.

But man i love that end vise. Im kimda bummed i am just using the regular old benchdrafted version..

I have been really considering buying the new LV quick release tail vise. How do you like the performance of this vise? I know it is still early to tell buy what are your first impressions? I have to build a new bench top out of maple some day but am waiting to move into our new house to tackle this task. But I would like to have a better tail vise than the regular face vise I placed there. I took the easy way out and followed Schwarz's recommendation of using a face vise there and have regretted that decision from day 1. I have considered the BC wagon vise but I really like the ability of the traditional tail vise to clamp objects without having to thread the work piece through the small hole of a wagon vise. About the only traditional tail vise I would consider is the LN but this LV quick release looks very intriguing. The install looks super simple and the function almost seems nicer than a tradition tail vise.

Your bench really turned out incredible and you should be really proud of it. The joinery is very clean and the choice of wood really makes it stand out. I understand that bench isn't necessarily supposed to look good but it certainly doesn't hurt. It gives you that inspirational feeling to do the best work you possibly can every time you walk into the shop. Great work!!

Thanks for looking guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    I will say it again. In general i really really like this bench.

But man i love that end vise. Im kimda bummed i am just using the regular old benchdrafted version..
    I think the open front of the Veritas will come in handy but since the guides are only on one side vs the benchcrafted, there's some play/lift when tightening. Also after using the leg vise, I try to spin everything out of habit now, the tail vise bar doesn't do quite as well.

Zuye, I'm also interested in how the Veritas is working for you and if you'd continue to update us on its performance.

Do you think the 3" chop is a factor?

I like the extra top depth next to the right leg on one side. The dog holes don't extend past the front leg vise for some reason?
    Your build time is impressive!

I must admit however I don't really 'get' the Roubo bench compared to the traditional Scandinavian bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hampshire View Post
    Zuye, I'm also interested in how the Veritas is working for you and if you'd continue to update us on its performance.

Do you think the 3" chop is a factor?
    The chop is around 3.5" wide and 6.75" thick (with 3+" thick top), the recommended is 2" and around 6" (with 2" thick top). It's working pretty well now although there is some lift up and out when significant pressure is applied. This was much worse before I added the block to the bench so it closes with the jaw for the full width and thickness which I think is key. Adding cork also helped to prevent it from sliding. I originally also undercut it slightly so the top of the jaw would close first, however needed to flatten it out to prevent lift. I think going with the smaller 2" dimensions would also help, but pretty happy with it now after some tweaking.

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    I like the extra top depth next to the right leg on one side. The dog holes don't extend past the front leg vise for some reason?
    Your build time is impressive!

I must admit however I don't really 'get' the Roubo bench compared to the traditional Scandinavian bench.
    I have a planeing stop from Lee Valley I was going to add there, however after using the tail vise, not sure if it is necessary and will just clutter up the bench. Will be drilling the rest of the holes as I go.

Very nice, glad it is done!