Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would I really notice a difference with a "better" RO Sander?

Like some of the others have said ... once I bought my Festool brushless I literally have not used any of my ROS such as Bosch and Dewalt - and I have piles of sandpaper for them. The only sanders I've used are the Porter Cable 505 for painted cabinet finishes, and a couple of pneumatics that do special things (the Dynabrade wet-sander).
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Most sanders will probably be close to each other in performance. But I wouldn't wait if my hand went numb. Not a good sign. At all.

Having said that I bought the P-C ROS years ago because it had the round dust chute. Surprisingly, it made my hand numb my first time using it. Took it right back and bought the Makita equivalent. Close to nil in vibration and less noise. Never looked back.

HTH

Howard
    Howard Rosenberg

I have a Bosch which was the top of the line sander years ago, 5". Have had to replace the velcro pad several times. Uses 5" 8 hole sanding pads. Handle on the side, really helps to keep the sander under control. Was about 150.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Knitter View Post
    Will it transfer less vibrations back into my hands?
    - yes
    Better dust collection?
    - probably
    Faster material removal?
    - depends on the oscillation range
    Include a vacuum adapter?
    - probably not but,m they're cheap
    I am not a heavy ROS user so temper my opinions with that in mind. I bought the Bosch 1295 DVS back before I ever heard of Festool. It was winning the bake-offs for smoothest results and kicking the butts of sanders costing $100 more. The focus was on surface prep not stock removal. They were discontinued but, I managed to grab an extra before they disappeared.

Results on plastic to aid visibility:

ROS-Pattern.jpg

The original one has run like a champ for 8 years and the spare is pretty much still a spare. I have soft medium and hard pads for it and the vac adapter was about $8. In use it picks up everything it generates and even sucks up nearby spoil from the bench. My point is that even back before vibration and dust collection were high points for designers, better sanders were . . . well . . . better. Do you need to spend $300? Probably not. Do you need to spend more than $25? Probably.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-08-2017 at 9:49 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    ... With the adaptation of brushless motors allowing ergonomics similar to pneumatic sanders the writing is on the wall for pneumatics...
    Not sure the wet sanders would concur ...
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    Not sure the wet sanders would concur ...
    At least at this point that is 100% correct but wet sanders don't see a lot of use in the wood industry.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Definitely exposes how self-centered I can be when thinking about work. There is enough combination of wood and fiberglass here locally - an anomaly for sure - that I'm always thinking about how the tool I use works with plastic. But I do agree that the modern high performance (and cost) brushless electric with vacuum are transformative tools. I'm drinking that koolaid for sure.

Blog Entries
    My Rigid (Home Depot) random orbital sander is a solid tool. I recommend it.

I've been thinking about upgrading my ancient DeWalt 5".

Form factor and weight are important to me. The brushless motor discussion is interesting. I've been noticing a push toward the brushless compact form factor in the cordless battery tools. Is it a safe assumption that this wave is sweeping the corded tools also, and if so can we expect Bosch and others to release compact brushless versions of their Random Orbit Sanders?

Unless I'm missing something, other than the discontinued PC390, I'm not seeing much in the compact brushless ROS category unless you step up to the super premium brands like Festool (or Mirka?). I'm asking because if newer compact brushless models are on the way from Bosch, DeWalt and the like, I will probably sit tight until they're here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    Dynabrade.
    I agree! I have a Dewalt and upgraded to a Dynabrade several years ago. No comparison. My Dynabrade is air powered and does use a fair amount of air, but it does remove material fast and leave a good surface. I also use Mirka Abranet disks, pads and subpads and hook my shop vac or dust collector to it for really good duct control.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn de Souza View Post
    Unless I'm missing something, other than the discontinued PC390, I'm not seeing much in the compact brushless ROS category unless you step up to the super premium brands like Festool (or Mirka?). I'm asking because if newer compact brushless models are on the way from Bosch, DeWalt and the like, I will probably sit tight until they're here.
    Right now (at least imported to the US) your choices are the Festool ETS EC 125/150 $385/$485 or the Mirka Deros which is $595 for either the 5" or 6".

I think it is safe to say more (cheaper) alternatives will appear, when is the real question.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    Definitely exposes how self-centered I can be when thinking about work. There is enough combination of wood and fiberglass here locally - an anomaly for sure - that I'm always thinking about how the tool I use works with plastic. But I do agree that the modern high performance (and cost) brushless electric with vacuumare transformative tools. I'm drinking that koolaid for sure.

I think we all pretty much discuss things from inside our own little bubble, I know I do. I can't think of the last time I wet sanded anything.

I think it could definitely be called disruptive technology for the industry. I think it is being driven in the EU by safety standards and reducing energy usage.

I bought a Mirka Ceros, and it was almost life changing. I only say 'almost' because technically, it didn't change my life. This is the most amazing sander I've ever used. It's a 6" model, and with the nice abranet pads, it is a dream to use. Of the many benefits this sander has brought to me, I have to make sure I'm completely clear about one thing:

A high end sander still leaves squiggle marks. I tell you that because many folks think squiggle marks are because of a lousy sander, but they are not. Squiggle marks are a *technique problem* and not the fault of the sander. So, if you've got some coin and want a badass sander, get a Ceros, but don't expect it to fix squiggles.

Haven't found a noticeable swirly since I got my Ceros (5"). Gotta use a vacuum.

Oh I use a vacuum, and a dust deputy. The squiggles are from not moving the sander slow enough. Did you get the short throw model? I forget what the throw is on mine. I definitely get squiggles if I don't move very slowly, and with light pressure.