Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil/varnish finish over alcohol-based dye

Oil/varnish finish over alcohol-based dye

Was looking at the recommendations for a particular brand of alcohol-based dye (Chestnut Spirit Stains) and it recommended a spray on lacquer finish. I've never been one that gravitated towards rattle can finishes (nothing against them, just haven't). Has anyone tried going over a product like Chestnut with something like DO or AO? Will it run/bleed into undyed areas?

Thanks!

So far I have not stained any of my turnings. I am curious about your acronym "AO", the acronym list on the OFF TOPIC FORUM, does not have a definition listed.

Jay

I dye using Feibing's alcohol based leather dye and have no problem using Danish or Teak oil. In my opinion the Minwax Antique oil is just a "watered" down version of the Danish oil mixes.

My experience is that all of the above finishes will work over alcohol based dyes. Rattle can lacquer is fine for finishes--used them for 5 years. Like any other finish methods it has it's little quirks. It is very thin compared to a spray gun mix and cannot be thinned with retarder to limit blushing. Some brands do not have this blushing problem however

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Mullins View Post
    So far I have not stained any of my turnings. I am curious about your acronym "AO", the acronym list on the OFF TOPIC FORUM, does not have a definition listed.
    I was referring to Antique Oil, thanks.

I've used Waterlox tung oil with no problems. As it soaks into the wood I would think you could use anything. I sand to 600+ before I dye, in between colors, and very lightly afterwards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks much, all.

Thanks for the reply.

I use mostly TransTint mixed with DNA and have used DO, AO and poly without any problems.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Justin,
    Avoid an alcohol based top coat over an alcohol based dye. Lacquer will not disturb the dye but shellac will ruin it.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust M. Ruggiero View Post
    Justin,
    Avoid an alcohol based top coat over an alcohol based dye. Lacquer will not disturb the dye but shellac will ruin it.
    Thanks. Interestingly, the Chestnut brand dyes I was looking at have 5% shellac already in them. Like Steve, I have used TransTint in the past but it has been a long time since I have tried to use dye for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust M. Ruggiero View Post
    Justin,
    Agree....I learned this the hard way.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    Agree....I learned this the hard way.
    Also Shellac will have a dramatic effect if you use Sharpie to sign your work.
    Fred

I am fairly new to turning but So far I have needed a food safe finish on the bowls I have made. I have been soaking them in food safe mineral oil and then rubbing them with Boos block cream or just regular Claphams beeswax salad bowl finish. My most recent project has been a small maple salt pot for my daughter as yet unfinished but I would like a recommendation for a salt resistant finish for the inside. Any help would be appreciated.

Keith, you will get a better response by starting a new thread. It is unlikely folks will come to this thread for any reason other than the title.