Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Been Using the Bandsaw a Bit the Last Couple Days

Olivers had foot brakes that rode on the inside rim of lower wheel.

My Yates has a drum on the top wheel with what looks like a set up off an old truck. Motor has electric brake.

Oliver inside hub brake lining

0010011.jpg

A monster solenoid electric brake on probably a 115

0000101.jpg
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Oliver inside hub brake lining

0010011.jpg

A monster solenoid electric brake on probably a 115

0000101.jpg
    I don't have any pictures, but the 217's I have had were foot brakes and rode on inside of rim. Upper wheel same way.

I have a 116 I am rebuilding for a customer, it has a brake, not sure of the variety yet. Pull wheel this week. It is a early 70s machine.

The first picture is a Yates American.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I don't have any pictures, but the 217's I have had were foot brakes and rode on inside of rim. Upper wheel same way.

I have a 116 I am rebuilding for a customer, it has a brake, not sure of the variety yet. Pull wheel this week. It is a early 70s machine.

The first picture is a Yates American.
    You are correct the first picture is a big snowflake I had the picture mislabeled and didn't even look at it. I have seen the ones you are talking about on Olivers but I don't have in pictures. I think the key for a retrofit will be finding a suitable "drum" which I don't think the wheel of smaller modern saws will work.

Curious if there are any cyclists here that can identify the "issue" with Laguna's disk brake.

BTW the Y30 you have for sale is very nice.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 01-09-2017 at 7:18 PM.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Another option for brakes is to buy a 3phase saw and run it off a vfd.

I don't know if you can add any kind of electronic braking on a single phase saw.

The Yates was way too much work, but it is a joy to use in the mean time.

I need to get on my computer and post some pictures of my 1870's Bentel BS, all original, including paint and pin striping.

One day I will put tires on it and set it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Another option for brakes is to buy a 3phase saw and run it off a vfd.

I don't know if you can add any kind of electronic braking on a single phase saw.

The Yates was way too much work, but it is a joy to use in the mean time.

I need to get on my computer and post some pictures of my 1870's Bentel BS, all original, including paint and pin striping.

One day I will put tires on it and set it up.
    Or replace the single phase motor on the one someone has and add a VFD, not the cheapest route and resistive braking is relatively slow compared to a mechanical brake but it allows setting up a micro-switch anywhere on the saw to activate by hand or foot to stop it.

No electronic braking on single phase that I know of either but one could add a single phase brake motor but even the Asian variants are not cheap, usually about twice the price compared to a standard motor of the same HP.

I as I am sure others would lobe to see the Bentel. You should do a thread with old your old iron pictures, while I have probably seen most of them you have posted across the internet I would imagine a lot of people here haven't seen them.

The vfd on my dual disc will do DC injection braking. I have seen lots of short stops on big saws as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    No electronic braking on single phase that I know of either

I found this. I don't know how expensive it is.
    http://www.saldet.com/brake-pak.html

The Short-Stop™ Type A electronic motor brake permits rapid stopping of AC motors by DC injection, which creates a stationary magnetic field within the motor. Braking action is smooth, adjustable, and frictionless, and begins automatically when the motor is turned off.

If affordable that might be a nice bandsaw addition.

JK

I've got one of these hanging upside down above my BS table and it works great. $8 with Harbor Freight coupon and batteries are provided (but they don't last long). LED Light.jpg