Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet ANOTHER ROS post!

Yet ANOTHER ROS post!

10 years ago I bought 6 PC333 sanders. I figured it was easier to leave a different sandpaper on each; in the long run it would cost the same as having them replacing them when they wore out.

3 of them have worn out. I first bought a couple Bosch ROS65. They were vibration free as advertised, but were so darn big and heavy that they were unpleasant to use. (They are 5.2 pounds compared to 3.5 for the PC333.)
    I then tried the Bosch ROS020. They are a little lighter than the PC333 (3.2 pounds) and vibrate a bit less, so they are a step in the right direction, but not perfect.

The Festool ETS125 claims to only be 2.4 pounds. Is it?!
    If anyone has tried the Bosch sanders and the Festool, how does it compare vibrationwise to the Boschs?

I have not used the Bosch or the FT, but I can tell you that the Mirka Ceros will be your last sander. It is a thing of amazement.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post
    I have not used the Bosch or the FT, but I can tell you that the Mirka Ceros will be your last sander. It is a thing of amazement.

I've tried about everything. The Ceros can't be beat in my opinion.

I own the Ceros 5" and 3".
    I USED to have Festool sanders.

Don't forget when singing the praises of the Ceros to mention that it is no longer available in the US, the more expensive Deros is. I have had all of the Festool ETS sanders and the ETS EC 150/5 as well as the Ceros and Deros and the Mirka sanders are simply better and have better ergonomics, especially if you like air sanders. Even the Deros is lighter than the same sized Festool ETS EC and it even has a very strong following on FOG. Even though the Mirkas are more expensive than the Festool Brushless ROS they are in my view absolutely the best electric ROS you can buy.

I have seen the EU tests for vibration for sanders but can't find the links but the Mirka Deros had the lowest vibration, Festool ETS EC second and then a big gap to the rest of the brushed sanders which includes the Bosch ROS65 which although it is a great sander for the money it is quite big.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Don't forget when singing the praises of the Ceros to mention that it is no longer available in the US, the more expensive Deros is.
    They really need to fix whatever was wrong and re-release it. I need to buy a couple more.

The shop next door has a couple of the deros, I have not handled them much, but they seem clumsy to me compared to the ceros. I'm sure there's no difference in sanding performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    They really need to fix whatever was wrong and re-release it. I need to buy a couple more.

The shop next door has a couple of the deros, I have not handled them much, but they seem clumsy to me compared to the ceros. I'm sure there's no difference in sanding performance.
    They continue to sale them in Europe and the UK so apparently the 240v version had no issues. Some people import Festool tools that aren't avaiable here and run them on 240v 60hz circuits or the site workers use a transformer. Now not being an electronics guru I don't know if the Ceros would be a simple plug in to our 240v 60hz power. With standard induction and universal motors it works fine but not sure about the transformer/rectifier for the Ceros but it would work fine with a transformer, they discuss the transformers on FOG. The only issue is running without a warranty. One other thought, I think you can still buy the Ceros in the EU/UK without the "power module" so you may be able to get spares that way, the also have the 77mm version which you could get here but I never got around to getting one. I assume they will work with the US box.

The Deros is indeed clumsy but only compared to the Ceros, it is still more ergonomic than anything else out there (electric). I wouldn't trade my Deros for anything except to get my Ceros back.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

They continue to sale them in Europe and the UK so apparently the 240v version had no issues. Some people import Festool tools that aren't avaiable here and run them on 240v 60hz circuits or the site workers use a transformer. Now not being an electronics guru I don't know if the Ceros would be a simple plug in to our 240v 60hz power. With standard induction and universal motors it works fine but not sure about the transformer/rectifier for the Ceros but it would work fine with a transformer, they discuss the transformers on FOG. The only issue is running without a warranty. One other thought, I think you can still buy the Ceros in the EU/UK without the "power module" so you may be able to get spares that way, the also have the 77mm version which you could get here but I never got around to getting one. I assume they will work with the US box.

The Deros is indeed clumsy but only compared to the Ceros, it is still more ergonomic than anything else out there (electric). I wouldn't trade my Deros for anything except to get my Ceros back.
    the manual states the power supply is 90-260 v . the little black box is a smps not a transformer so all you would do is replace the cable which is standard and you would be on your way should be zero issues. looks like the ceros is done most places in eu are out of stock.

I have a 6" Deros, which I love and which is a little lighter than the equivalent 6" Festool. I also got one of those $99 5" Festool specials a couple months ago, which I also love.

Quote Originally Posted by David T gray View Post
    the manual states the power supply is 90-260 v . the little black box is a smps not a transformer so all you would do is replace the cable which is standard and you would be on your way should be zero issues. looks like the ceros is done most places in eu are out of stock.
    I didn't even think of it being a switched mode power supply... that certainly opens up possibilities.

All my usual UK suppliers have them in stock and I see it on Amazon.de as well but I don't know what the long term availability will be. PLus I didn't verify any of the UK sources will actually ship it to the US but Amazon.de seems to.

I didn't even think of it being a switched mode power supply... that certainly opens up possibilities.

All my usual UK suppliers have them in stock and I see it on Amazon.de as well but I don't know what the long term availability will be. PLus I didn't verify any of the UK sources will actually ship it to the US but Amazon.de seems to.

It's an inverter, not a transformer, that's why. Same with 99% of your battery chargers. They don't care what's going in, because it's all the same going out.

German Amazon doesn't deliver to the United States.

German Amazon doesn't deliver to the United States.
    Got a large package from Amazon.de last week, I have bought a lot of Festool, Wera, NWS, Knipex and the like from them and UK Amazon as well. Not all items will ship to the US but an awful lot will. For example, a lot of Festool Systainers won't ship from German Amazon but will from UK Amazon you just have to poke around until you find items that do ship to the US and I only buy stuff that ships from Amazon since their shipping is reasonable, assuming you buy a decent dollar amount at the time to absorb the shipping. In any case I didn't do the conversions but the UK retailers like Axemister appear to have better prices on the Ceros and they do ship to the US but I didn't query them about the Ceros in particular. Their shipping is usually decent for the items I ahve ordered from them and their service is very quick.

Wade,

I have never used any Bosch sanders but I do really like all my F sanders. I use my 150/3 for just about EVERYTHING even forgetting that I have an older model Rotex in a systainer somewhere. Sanding took on a whole dimension when my Festool showed up all those years ago. All I can say is to try one out at a friend's place or maybe a dealer somewhere. Worse case, buy one and you have 30 days to return it full refund.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Has anyone here tried the 3M brushless sander? Looks like the ceros.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford