Thread: Help with shaker peg rail

Help with shaker peg rail

I am thinking of putting in a run of shaker peg rail on one wall in our little mud room/hallway.

For the 'rail' I'm thinking of using 1/2" white pine - or maybe poplar as it's generally easier for me to get in decent shape. Good choice? I'm also thinking of running a bead along the top and bottom. Thoughts?

also, any recommendations for a source for the pegs? I'm assuming they need to be longer than most drawer pulls I'm likely to find in most places.

Blog Entries
    Howdy Tony,

Asking where to find the pegs makes me guess you do not have a lathe. It is easy to make your own.

Is there a Michaels arts & craft supply in your area? They have shaker pegs listed on line. They are also listed at Home Depot for a bit higher price.

For my coat and hat racks my lathe is very handy for making pegs:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?240132

My back board was regular 1X pine. The stems of the pegs came through the back and needed to be trimmed.

Hope this helps.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Howdy Tony,

Asking where to find the pegs makes me guess you do not have a lathe. It is easy to make your own.

Is there a Michaels arts & craft supply in your area? They have shaker pegs listed on line. They are also listed at Home Depot for a bit higher price.

For my coat and hat racks my lathe is very handy for making pegs:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?240132

My back board was regular 1X pine. The stems of the pegs came through the back and needed to be trimmed.

Hope this helps.

jtk
    Thanks for the response Jim. Don't have a lathe or room for it at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    Thanks for the response Jim. Don't have a lathe or room for it at this point.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Madison-Mil...iature/3044161

Easy to make, but for the price, pretty easy to buy too. . . depends if you need to match a design or are just going utilitarian.
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Lee Valley also carries shaker pegs:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...at=1,250,43233

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    I am thinking of putting in a run of shaker peg rail on one wall in our little mud room/hallway.

For the 'rail' I'm thinking of using 1/2" white pine - or maybe poplar as it's generally easier for me to get in decent shape. Good choice? I'm also thinking of running a bead along the top and bottom. Thoughts?

also, any recommendations for a source for the pegs? I'm assuming they need to be longer than most drawer pulls I'm likely to find in most places.
    I put a double row of pegs in my hallway for the kids to hang backpacks, coats, etc. I just used poplar, white paint, and put a 45 on the ends to sort of transition them into the walls. I did not want people running into pegs sticking out, and the hallway is a little narrow, so I used actually used drawer pulls. Theystick out about an inch, but the shape makes stuff stay on them. All of the kids' stuff has loops on it to hang, so it works well. A bead would be nice, but my whole house is pretty plain, so it would probably look out of place.

Tony, If you're buying pegs you may want choose them carefully to minimize the runout in the grain or you'll be replacing the broken ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hampshire View Post
    Tony, If you're buying pegs you may want choose them carefully to minimize the runout in the grain or you'll be replacing the broken ones.
    If I find good ones locally I'll do that; if I have to order then I'll be sure to get extra.

i found I had a board of poplar that is 12 1/4 feet long and four inches wide. Only problem with it is that it is 4/4 - 3/4" stock. That might change how I connect the pegs - fox tenons?