Thread: What are these Japanese Wet Stones?

What are these Japanese Wet Stones?

I am digging in cabinets never opened and came across these Japanese Wet Stones purchased from Stu some time back, perhaps five years ago. Can any of you enlighten me as to what they are? I know they are 1200, 6000 (with base) and 13000 grit and there is a diamond plate but not anything else. The writing is in Japanese for some reason. Thanks.

Japan Box.jpg Japan Open.jpg

Blog Entries
    White is 1,000
    Pink speckles on yellow is 6,000
    Yellow is 12,000
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Atoma are really good diamond stone plates. They come I a range of 3-4 grits ranging from 150 to 1200 IIRC. They are attached to a 'paper' that is attached to an aluminum plate so they are easily renewable and cheaper to change the grit size. Shawn answered the other part (which is good because I don't know them).

They are sigma power stones. Are you planning on using them because I certainly might be interested in buying them if you are not. They are very good quality synthetic water stones, comparable to the Shapton Pro series. Interesting that the white one says 1200 as I thought they were 1000 grit. But I do remember him having the 1200 grit back about the same time you said you purchased these. I have always used the SHapton Pro stones but have always wanted to try these out at some point. But I can get the Japanese version of the Shapton Pro's at a really good price these days so have yet to try out Stu's pride and joy. Either way you have a great set of stones that deserved to be used.

Blog Entries
    I have this set from Stu. I love them.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I'll second/third the opinion. They are a Sigma Power water stone set from Stu that has the Atoma along to be used for for flattening the stones. They work very well and were not an inexpensive set to acquire. I use the 13,000 mainly to create micro bevels with after using my 1,000 and 6,000 to grind/hone the primary bevel. The 6,000 grit stone is particularly impressive to me and one can easily stop there if so desired. With a micro bevel only taking a couple-three-four swipes, may as well do that too. Stu advised a 10 min soak before use (some folks don't like that requirement), but noted that full time soaking does no harm. I leave mine living full-time in three separate Tupperware troughs, with a drop or two of Clorox in each, unless it is predicted to freeze. Here in Hellified central Texas, that is not a typical concern most of the year.
    David

Send me a PM if you are looking to sell those stones. I am close to ordering that exact set from Stu and would likely take them off your hands, if that's what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I am digging in cabinets never opened and came across these Japanese Wet Stones purchased from Stu some time back, perhaps five years ago. Can any of you enlighten me as to what they are? I know they are 1200, 6000 (with base) and 13000 grit and there is a diamond plate but not anything else. The writing is in Japanese for some reason. Thanks.

As others have said it's Stu's special Sigma Power set. Here's the link: http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/...oducts_id=1667

The set you have has the Atoma 400 plate and the "1000 hard" stone, and prices out at 25000 JPY plus shipping. Given that they're new-in-box you should be able to ask a decent fraction of that.

Wait a sec. You bought this complete set for not really small money and then forgot about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    As others have said it's Stu's special Sigma Power set. Here's the link: http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/...oducts_id=1667

The set you have has the Atoma 400 plate and the "1000 hard" stone, and prices out at 25000 JPY plus shipping. Given that they're new-in-box you should be able to ask a decent fraction of that.
    Whoops, I should have looked more closely. Your set has the "Select II 1200" stone in place of the "Power 1000 Hard", which adds 1500 JPY to the tally, 26500 total. That's a really really nice medium-grit stone BTW. It cuts exotic steels much more easily than the Power 1000 hard, but doesn't dish insanely like the Power 1000 Soft or Select II 1000.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 01-08-2017 at 7:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post

From left to Right:

1. Atoma brand diamond plate: (Can't see the grit designation).
    2. Sigma Power brand; Extreme Ceramic Sharpening Stone; Select II Medium Stone; Ideal for both ceramic knives and high-speed steel edged tools; Pure White; Wet before using.
    3. Sigma Power brand; Ceramic finishing stone; Ultimate grade for cooking knives.
    4. Sigma Power brand; Select II finishing stone; Ultimate ceramic sharpening stone; Egg color with speckled ground; Wet before using.

Stan

On my Stu set, the Atoma (used for flattening the others only) is a 400#, the white stone is 1,000#, the pink speckled one is 6,000# and the pale yellow one is 13,000#. I believe they are all labeled Sigma Power II and all were recommended to have a 10 min soak prior to use.
    David

I believe Stu said they can be used wet or dry - your preference. Regardless, he's also said that the 1000 can use a short soak and the 6000 wants a heavy splash and go and that the 13000 is a splash and go. As always, my memory may be failing.