Thread: Any mechanics out there

Any mechanics out there

2010 Ford Mini van is not circulating radiator fluid. We made sure fluid is full but the van heats up and only blows cold air. They radiator is not leaking so wondering if it is the thermostat or could it be that fluid in the radiator is frozen. It's 20 degrees here? Not sure of the quality of the antifreeze, just got the vehichle. I know it's a long shot and prolly more in is needed but thought, what the heck. any thoughts would be appreciated.

Check under the hood for a water line valve with 4 hoses and a vacuum line going to it. That may be bad. Easy to replace.

Another possibility is a failure to build pressure in the system. In our case, the radiator overflow tank (plastic) had a crack in it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

If the thermostat was bad the van would either not heat up or it would overheat. Like Myk said it could be a valve that controls the water flow to the heater, or it could be a plugged or collapsed heater hose or the heater core was leaking and the PO bypassed the heater core altogether.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

George,

I was thinking the same thing. Some shade tree mechanic trying to get rid of a car at minimum expense bypassed a defective heater core. It's best to have a checklist when purchasing a new car. I check the air conditioning in freezing weather and the heater in the middle of summer. Caught one guy who laughed and said, "someone won't know all my tricks." Just walked away from the car and left.

Speaking of no heat I have an explorer that all the vents work except for the driver side floor vent. passenger side works fine but no air flow out of the driver side. This started after I hit a deer that smashed the driver side mirror and window and the driver side windshield no other body damage but there was glass every where. The repair shop pulled the dash to clean all the glass. Anybody know if there is a separate diverter door for the driver side

Scott, it could be freezing, could be an air lock, could be a blockage, or failed thermostat or water pump vanes gone. Start checking what is easiest and change the coolant as well. It could be a rubbish brand. Some cars have procedures for eliminating air from the system. If the air is trapped at the temp sensor it makes it look worse than what it is. Water pump vanes can corrode away if bad coolant has been used. Check everything else first. Cheers

Thermostat is stuck open

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Speaking of no heat I have an explorer that all the vents work except for the driver side floor vent. passenger side works fine but no air flow out of the driver side. This started after I hit a deer that smashed the driver side mirror and window and the driver side windshield no other body damage but there was glass every where. The repair shop pulled the dash to clean all the glass. Anybody know if there is a separate diverter door for the driver side
    Start a new thread.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Thanks for all of the responses. Took the car to the mechanic and won't know anything until Monday. It's my sons van and he, his wife, got it from her parents so there is nothing shady going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Start a new thread.
    No need now I pulled the side panel and tapped the vent duct with the fan on full and a piece of glass flew out now it works

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Check under the hood for a water line valve with 4 hoses and a vacuum line going to it. That may be bad. Easy to replace.
    On one of my cars this valve got plugged somehow with sediment. I cleaned it out, fixed.

JKJ

Ford has a procedure for getting air out of heater core. Top off radiator, then place cap on, but only in first position. Crank engine and allow to warm up, with heat set on high. Run motor at 1500RPM's for about five minutes, then shut down. Allow to cool,and then top off radiator, fill over flow tank to mark on side and replace radiator cap. The heater control valve could have either broken diaphram, bad vacuum line, or be restricted in movement. On our 94 Areostar, the valve sometimes shifts so the control rod strikes AC receiver, and won't open all the way. Air door could be stuck in cold position.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 01-09-2017 at 9:45 AM.