Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mortiser

DSCN2803.jpg Doesn't cut square ends, ( Maka does those and is pretty versatile ) but this is what gets used the most. Bacci oscillating. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    ( Maka does those and is pretty versatile )
    I think Darcy has/had a Maka..., if he has pics maybe he will share them, that is if my memory serves me correctly and it was him that I am thinking about.

Back to the HCM for a moment, Joe made a good point in that most benchtops have relatively poor clamping ability and most don't have an X-Y table at least not a geared one. That is one thing even the entry level floor models tend to do much better.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    I have had a pro shop for about the last 20-25 years.
    I have never needed, or wanted to make a 3/4" or bigger mortise.
    Ever.
    Unless you are doing true timberframing type work with 1 1/2" and 2" mortises being the standard, but then that is always green wood, very large timber, and done with a drill, mallet and chisel.
    Even thick doors 2 1/4" - 3" are done with dual 1/2" mortises, leading to a much stronger joint than only 1 joint that is 3/4".
    Peter, we did 1" lock mortises for entry doors on the Maka for a while. We do these after assembly so it was awkward. The Maka will do a 4" deep X 1" X whatever width mortise in white oak very quick and accurate. We now have a portable Mafell chain for this. The Wadkin HC came with a 1" chisel that I tried in white oak. Granted the chisel was not at its best but it seemed to take a lot to cut into oak. Probably a automatic HC is better for large mortises on a production basis vs a standard HC.
    Last edited by Joe Calhoon; 01-10-2017 at 9:23 AM.

I have a Hitachi portable chain mortiser for big stuff. A single plunge makes a 3/4 x 2 1/8" mortise up to 7" deep. The tilt/ side shift mechanism allows me to make a mortise up to 1 1/2 x 5 1/4 without releasing the clamping mechanism up to 7" deep in about 4 minutes.

Blog Entries
    I'm didn't have huge stuff in mind, I've cut twin 3/4" mortises in 4x4 timber, and I would imagine that would be manageable on a floor standing HCM. I do it on the floor with a tataki-nomi....so I'm a floor sitting solid chisel mortiser.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Mark Hennebury at solidwoodmachines.com does the most beautiful Maka restores I've ever seen. The electricals alone are a work of art. There are a few rebuilds on his site and on canadianwoodworking. Dave

It's difficult to video and run some of these things but, here is my Maka

https://youtu.be/gDLEuyOEDdQ

Here is my Festo CM

https://youtu.be/AdGYI85CAoQ

None of my Wysong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    here is my Maka

Thanks, especially the Maka, most haven't seen a Fein Multitool on steroids in action.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.