Thread: Sheesh, Another Bench, Really?

Sheesh, Another Bench, Really?

I build either too many benches or not enough of them. If Y'all aren't bored looking at benches, here is another one.

This one is a bit prettier than most of my benches, and probably my favorite bench I've built. Solid, pretty, clamps work like a dream, just about the perfect size for my work.

82 x 20 x 30 3/4" tall. Top is a bit over 3" thick.

Tail Vise and Leg vise with St Andrews Cross hardware. Square Bench Dogs are a bit over 1 1/16" wide.

Top floats in Tenons, Base constructed with Drawbore Mortise and Tenon Joints.

Cherry and walnut top, with some Beech and maple accents. Mahogany endcaps. Chisel rack built in. Bottom Shelf is stained pine, and simply lifts out if I ever decided to change anything under the bench.

Base is lacquered, top is finished with BLO.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Blog Entries
    A very nice looking bench.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Nothing wrong with that - AT ALL!!

Dave B

Not possible to have too many bench building threads!!!

Isn't it uncomfortable playing that Marimba under your bench?
    Rollie

You did not just make a workbench you created it. The alternating colours of the top transform the bench from utility to art. Coming into your workshop and looking at that top would be inspiring.

Clearly it is customised to your work; the one dog tail vise and chisel rack. That's quite the overhang! Must be for foot clearance? The cantilevered effect will stop the bench sagging over the years!

I think we all build a bench based on some deep seated woodiness inside us. For me the underlying criteria was allowing me to build full size doors, though I usually make furniture.

I really LOVE building work benches,though I can't lift the weight involved now. My current bench is all beech wood,with a 4" thick top all the way across. 4" x 6" legs. I made all my own steel hardware for the tail vise.

Very nice bench Matt. Those are some serious bench dogs. Are you going to add a sliding deadman?

Hi Matt,

One more "nice job!" +1 on what George said....you can't have too many posts of bench builds.

Stew

Nice. What is the source of the leg vise hardware? Is the end vise a full shoulder vise?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I really LOVE building work benches,though I can't lift the weight involved now. My current bench is all beech wood,with a 4" thick top all the way across. 4" x 6" legs. I made all my own steel hardware for the tail vise.
    I'm oiling my black walnut bench top with coats of smoking hot linseed oil at the moment. It weighs ~250lb and flipping it over on my assembly table with oily hands is proving challenging as it slides away! I've taken chunks out of the edge of the assembly table as I save it from hitting the floor. My legs are also 4"x6" (oak) with cherry feet (3"x5"). There is no way I can lift the top on the legs by myself!

Thanks folks!

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    You did not just make a workbench you created it. The alternating colours of the top transform the bench from utility to art. Coming into your workshop and looking at that top would be inspiring.

Clearly it is customised to your work; the one dog tail vise and chisel rack. That's quite the overhang! Must be for foot clearance? The cantilevered effect will stop the bench sagging over the years!

I think we all build a bench based on some deep seated woodiness inside us. For me the underlying criteria was allowing me to build full size doors, though I usually make furniture.
    The overhang was mostly to accommodate the tail vise. its about 20", but the bench "balancing points" are such that I can actually jump on the very end of the bench and is still doesn't move at all. I made a bench with an offset leg design, which I've seen on a lot of European style benches with a tail vise, but that seemed to be less stable.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    Very nice bench Matt. Those are some serious bench dogs. Are you going to add a sliding deadman?
    Maybe. I had thought about it, and I left just enough room to do so if I decide to add one, but I haven't quite made up my mind yet.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    If I had a consistent source of beech I would be doing more with it. I love working with beech, but no one in the area seems to want to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Nice. What is the source of the leg vise hardware? Is the end vise a full shoulder vise?
    Screws and Hardware is all made by me. St. Andrews cross hardware is very simple to make. ( you can't go wrong buying Benchcrafteds' kit though)

The tail vise is a traditional tail vise. The "L" at the end of the bench is not used as a shoulder vise, rather it is there to allow the parallel guide to attach to it. I need to take a few better pictures of that.

Threw in a picture of the clamp up of the vise assembly. 10-12 clamps all jammed into one really tight space. . .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A very nice looking bench.

jtk

Agreed! Nice proportions to that.

Looks great, love the color!