Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Opinions.... Drill Press

Need Opinions.... Drill Press

I have a fifteen year old Craftsman 15 inch Drill press - floor model. It was sold as a 1 HP model (for what that is worth) and I forget how many speeds, I thought 16 maybe? Anyway, it is in top condition and looks like new as I cover my equipment when not in use with big clear garbage bags. It is also on a mobile base.

Here is the deal, I am considering selling this DP. The reason is it takes up a fair amount of space. I do not use it alot,however when I need it I need it. My uses for a drill press are primarily for some spindle sanding and of course precision drill and for hogging out wood with a large forstener bit for clock movements and fit ups. So... question is, can I do that same stuff on a say 199.00 Delta benchtop etc.? This would allow me to mount it to another benchtop and free up space for something like a Bandsaw in the future or maybe a planer or something like that. I would need to be able to get close to $200.00 or not much less for the drill press.

So will a benchtop do what I need it to do and do you think I could get 180. - 200.00 for my floor model or should I just keep it?

Thanks,
    Corey

Corey, I get a lot of mileage out of my <$100 Delta benchtop DP, and from your description, it sounds like you could do quite well with a benchtop model. I don't know used tool prices well enough to know if the $180 - $200 range is a reasonable expectation for your old one. I'm sure other Creekers will weigh in on that aspect.

- Vaughn

Keep it.

I can't imagine how a floor DP is going to take up more space than a bench top.

If you need space how about putting your current DP on rollers

JOe

Corey I have the DP 200 Delta Drill press. I use a 3 1/8" forstner bit in it for larger clock movements. It is no speed demon but works for me. Amazon I think has these for about $96 with 1/4 hp motor or the DP 300 with 1/3 hp for about $170. I tried them both at ACE Hardware and I could tell a dimes worth of difference. It is not going to drill like a 1/2 to 1 hp floor model but if you are wanting to hog out wood FAST with a 2" or larger forstner bit you had better keep your floor press. I put mine on the lowest speed and drill slow. By the way Corey my Grizzly G0555 is now in the place where my floor drill press was.
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 10-10-2005 at 9:33 PM.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Joe, when you have room on a bench top that you have already and waiting, I would put one on the benchtop and have the entire space available where the DP was. My DP is on a mobile base, however in my opinion a DP is one tool you want to move as little as possible. I put it on it as it made it easier to relocate when I was redoing my shop. Drill presses are extremely top heavy and easy to tip, it is not something I want to move alot to avoid injury or damage.
    Corey

Corey

You have the exact opposite dilemma I have. I own a bench top drill press, a Delta 12" DP. I have it on a portable bench. I would much rather have a floor model.

JOe

Sounds like it Joe. If my shop was bigger, I wouldn't give it a thought and would keep it. My shop is just the front of a 1 car garage and a minivan gets parked in it as well so I utilize the space if front and down the side. I am trying to put as many items on the benches along the wall for those items I can't put on a bench. I will just have to see how it goes.
    Thanks,
    Corey

Thanks Vaughn, Bernie. I am not worried about hogging material out fast however, I do need to be able to use a 3 1/8 forstener bit in oak without burning up the motor or over heating it. If you guys do this kind of work on your benchtops then I don't see any reason to not make a switch here. Thinking about it

Corey

Floor model

Corey: I was told years ago that you need a floor model to use mortising attatchment. I bought the attatchment and never used it ha, ha. It is good for my machine vise. In a small shop it can be used as a support for other machines. So think long and hard before you dispose of it. Harry

The "footprint" of your floor model is not really much bigger than that of a bench top model unless you get one of the tiny ones. If you are just trying to free up up floor space and have excess bench capacity, here is an idea. Don't know if it would work.....never heard it suggested before. Disassemble as much of the DP as is necessary and cut off as much of the post as is appropriate and turn that floor model into a bench top. It certainly will be a little bigger than a normal bench top; but you will have the extra motor capacity of the bigger DP and you will not take a financial hit loss on the old DP and price of a new one. I would like to hear from others as to whether this is a practical alternative or not???

Randy I have seen that a couple of times only not cutting the stems down. I have a friend of mine who took and cut a slot the size of the stem of the DP in the top of his bench and the bottom shelf about 1' from the corner. He cut the slot deep enough that the bottom of the DP was even with the edge of the bench. He slide the saw into the slot and clamped it on both shelves which made it rock solid. I must admit it works like a champ and he still has his bigger press. He wanted to do like I think Corey wants to free up precious floor space. When he moved his drill press that is where he put his new bandsaw. I don't see why that wouldn't work though.
    Bernie

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Hnag It!

I know this sounds crazy, but I have seen pictures where people have hung their floor model DP from the ceiling. In order to do this you have to be able to flip the head assembly on the shaft, then bolt the base to the ceiling. You will need to figure out a method of raising and lowering the table. In addition to saving space, this gives the DP an almost unlimited swing capicity.Perry

Intersting ideas guys! Thinking about how I can acomplish chopping the thing in half I like that idea, but sounds like alot of work... either it would be a smashing sucess or fail miserably ruining a good drill press
    Bernie, that is a good idea as well but kind of won't work with the bench I have planned. Still trying to envision the drill press mounted from the ceiling. I think we have a piece of exercise equipment around here that would work with that!!

Corey

Yea I know Corey if you are going to put drawers under the bench that would be out. He just has the bench top and a shelf about 6" off the floor. It does work great. Just a idea. Good luck Corey. By the way Corey I will PM you with a picture of the back of the spline jig tonight.
    Bernie

Corey couldn't figure out how to put pictures on PM's. So will send them here. Here is the back of my spline jig. The fence on the back slides on my fence on the table saw. I am still looking for the spline jig for boxes. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bernie