Thread: Jet Mini-lathe on a flip-top stand - thoughts on vibration??

Jet Mini-lathe on a flip-top stand - thoughts on vibration??

I would like to have my Jet mini-lathe and Ridgid oscillating belt sander more readily usable in my small shop. I am considering mounting them to a flip top stand on casters, but concerned about vibration relative to the lathe. I turn small items only, pens and bottle stoppers, but I don't want to build something that I curse every time I use it! Any thoughts on if flip top stands can be made sufficiently robust to keep a small lathe running smoothly? The stand I plan to build would be all 3/4 inch baltic birch ply, and locks with knobs at all four corners of the flip top. Any comments would be most appreciated. Thanks!

I have two bench top lathes (a 12x20 Grizzly and a 10x18 Delta), both of which I have operated without having bolted down, making the exact types of things that you listed in your post.

I am now using a Joyner offset jig on the Grizzly which is making me consider tying it down to the bench, but am successfully using it without doing so.

So, if you make your cabinet out of 3/4 inch plywood and tie the lathe to the cabinet, I predict that you will be pretty happy with what you want to do.

I would suggest making the flip-top a box construction using 3/4" ply top and bottom minimum and 2x ribs and ends. I would hold the outside 2x short of the edge to allow for the clamping mechanism to lock the turned top. The main load will be on the center of top over the rib section for both machines or would you offset the machines close to edge to make them more accessible.

I had my mini lathe and scroll saw mounted on a flip top stand for many years, and had no problem with vibration. It has locking caster wheels on it to roll out of the way as needed. My fastening method is with a 1/2" lag bolt at each end for a pivot, and four 3/8" pins at the corners of the top to lock it in place during use. Taking out the pins allows it to spin, and lock it very securely. It is constructed from 2x12 construction lumber, the densest I could find. Last year I got a bigger lathe and scroll saw, so now I use the flip top for the new scroll saw and made another stand for the lathe.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

I have both of my Jet minis held down by gravity. I don't think you'll have problems at all. I turn little bowls too. The Jet mini is heavy for it's size.

Everyone, thanks for the feedback. There doesn't appear to be any strong experience/advice that this is a bad idea, so it's off to the lumber store for some plywood. Thanks again!

Tom, what will you do with all of the spare plates and sanding supplies, that are stored on the Ridgid O/B sander? You can't flip the sander, unless you do something with all of those pieces sitting loose like they are. It's a good idea to build the framework, but, I think you should use it for something other then the Ridgid sander.
    Len

Len, there is a drawer at the bottom that holds all the accessories for the sander. I am looking at the flip top from the Fix This Build That website: http://fixthisbuildthat.com/diy-flip...l-stand-plans/