Thread: "Community" woodshop question

"Community" woodshop question

Hello everyone!

I have been learning from these forums for a few months now (I am a hobbyist, who's getting started into woodworking). I am getting set to start my first big project: building a roubo-style workbench.

My question is: does anyone know of a community wood workshop, or shop where I can "rent" time on more expensive/big tools? I have a few tools in my shop (table saw, compound miter, circular saw, bandsaw, jigsaw, orbital sander), but I don't currently have the $ or the space to add a jointer or a drum sander or an oscillating sander... you get the point.

I live in Cranford, NJ, so if anyone knows of a place were I could get access to (mostly a jointer), that would be awesome!

Thanks!

-Hector

Hector, have you asked your local woodworking store about it? Or asked about local clubs who might know?

Years ago I enrolled in a night class on woodworking at a local high school in California. I kept going back to that class for years, to use their equipment. Do they still have wood shops in public schools there? We still do here in Texas.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

The local university here (Oregon State) has a decent wood shop that is available for anyone in the community - I think it's $40 / term to use the "craft center" which includes the wood shop, ceramics, and a few more artsy crafty items like jewelry and stained glass.

Good idea, I know that the local high school does have a shop, so maybe they do night hours - I'll look into that. There's also a community college in town, but last time I looked i didn't see any carpentry/woodshop classes anywhere in their catalog, so I am thinking they don't have a woodshop.

Matt, the trouble around me is that there aren't many true woodworking stores by me, (at least not that I've found, and I've looked).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Finn View Post
    Years ago I enrolled in a night class on woodworking at a local high school in California. I kept going back to that class for years, to use their equipment. Do they still have wood shops in public schools there? We still do here in Texas.
    Jim,
    Where in Texas can you find night woodworking classes at public schools? I live in Austin and I've never heard of them. Would love to attend one/some.
    Thanks, Mike

do a google search for "maker space" in your area

You would probably get more specific answers if you put your location in your profile or posted it here. I don't see how anyone can give you more than just general guidance until they know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    You would probably get more specific answers if you put your location in your profile or posted it here. I don't see how anyone can give you more than just general guidance until they know that.
    His original post says that he lives in Cranford, NJ.