Here is my situation. Best description of kanna is $65 from Stu purchased approx. 5 years ago. I am able to plane softwood and get a glorious sheen however I can't get a shaving when going with the grain on hardwood. I can get a shaving when I go against the grain in hardwood, but it is not a good looking one in. The shaving almost seems thicker when I go against the grain. When going with the grain in hardwood. I can get about a quarter inch and then it seems to disengage. I thought maybe there was a convex on the bevel so I reworked the blade to 30 degrees and made sure I kept it flat. Had some pretty tough stiction going on if that matters. I thought that would be a sign of flatness. I tuned up the sole so that it was flat in front of the blade and flat across at both ends of the plane. No wind in it. I did this with the blade/chipbreaker installed. It fits very nicely. No hump behind the blade.

Any idea's? I purchased the T Odate book on recommendation (love it) but didn't find a solution. Thanks - Paul