Thread: Need Advice on Leveling Grizzly Planer Infeed Wing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Need Advice on Leveling Grizzly Planer Infeed Wing

Hello,
    I have the Grizzly 15 inch planer and I've been struggling to get the indeed wing level with the planer bed. I've lowered the bed rollers so that they are not in play. It seems to me that the infeed wing is sagging even when fully tightened. That is: when I have the front edge of the infeed wing level with the planer bed, the back edge of the wing is almost a 1/4 inch lower than the planer bed (photo attached). This doesn't seem right at all… Would appreciate any advice from others who have this planer.. Note in the picture the level is being used only as a straight edge (my floor is not level).
    Thanks very much,
    Izzy
    Last edited by Izzy Charo; 01-08-2017 at 7:19 PM. Reason: no attachment

Attachment

Now with attachment...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Izzy, if it's anything like my old PM15 setup you'll need to loosen the main bolts and adjust the set screws (if yours has them) in to lift the outboard edge up. It was a lot of trial & error and gently tapping it around with a hammer to get it right. If you don't have the set screws you will need to shim between the bed and the wing with washers or something suitable.

Ps. once set, be careful not to over tighten the bolts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 01-08-2017 at 8:07 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    You don't mention the model but, it looks like a 453(?). If so there are set screws to adjust the angle as described in the owners manual (figure 8 on page 16 in my manual).
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-08-2017 at 8:57 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

There are indeed adjusting screws.. I used these to get the edge of the infeed wing flush with the planer bed. But as I hope the photo shows, the far end of the infeed table is now about 1/4 inch lower than the planer bed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy Charo View Post
    There are indeed adjusting screws.. I used these to get the edge of the infeed wing flush with the planer bed. But as I hope the photo shows, the far end of the infeed table is now about 1/4 inch lower than the planer bed.
    If the wing is to be adjusted in height (or tilt) there will be a gap where the hex screws push against the body of the planer. The top seam where the material rides will be flush. When making this adjustment the hex bolts that hold the table in place need to be loosened to allow the tilt (and the resulting gap). Once the tables are aligned the hex bolts lock them in place. Here's the gap on mine:

table alignment.JPG
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-08-2017 at 9:04 PM.

– Samuel Butler

Thanks Glenn, very helpful! It would have been nice if Grizzly had explained some of this in the documentation…I confess I had no idea the hex set screws were there to create a gap to allow tilt of the infeed wing (If I understand your post correctly). Appreciate your help! And I apologize for not sating the model of the planer. It is : GO453ZW.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy Charo View Post
    Thanks Glenn, very helpful! It would have been nice if Grizzly had explained some of this in the documentation…I confess I had no idea the hex set screws were there to create a gap to allow tilt of the infeed wing (If I understand your post correctly). Appreciate your help! And I apologize for not sating the model of the planer. It is : GO453ZW.
    I am happy to be able to give back something for all the great stuff I have gotten from the forum. I think that now you will find the adjustments pretty straight forward. A picture truly is worth a 1000 words. I have had my G0453Z since 2010 and still smile every time I use it. Just used it an hour ago ;-)

– Samuel Butler

It sounds like you need to raise the lower edge a bit and lower the blade edge a bit with the set screws until you get it level. I hate adjusting jointers.

You may need to shim it a bit. Some aluminum from empty cans may help.
    Don