Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

9 Jan 2017
    Good Evening/Morning Everyone,
    Yes, I'm starting early again...because I'm already here and I have family time coming up...so I'm moving forward.

Been a good weekend, my #2 son just turned 22 and we celebrated this weekend with him and it was an honor to celebrate with him. He's what I call a man of "steel and velvet". He know when he needs to be tough and hard as well as knowing when to be tender and caring. He has a heart the size of Texas and he cares about others far more than himself. What a fine young man that he has turned into!!!! He starts Trade School this month...he's decided to go into HVACR for a career. He love to work with his hands and he's already had 2 years of jr college....Did I happen to mention that I'm really proud of him?!!

Spent some time with the new grand-daughter this weekend and yes, my heart has been stolen by a little girl named Gabby Grace.

Time for me to get off here and this week....I hope to start cleaning up the shop once again. The kitchen island project is finished and installed and if you didn't get to see the final pic of it installed? Let me know and I'll repost.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks and may this week be warmer.....to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Sounds like you had an excellent weekend, Dennis!

I had a "mixture" of things on my plate this weekend. (and that's in addition to preparing dinner both nights. ) Saturday included installing felt in the bottom of the bins for my now completed retro-modern LP record rack commission...not my cup of tea for a design, but it's what the client wanted, and it had some interesting build challenges that I learned from. That was followed by some shop cleaning and organization that's been needed for some time. Sunday brought....drywall and mud...closing up the kitchen and powder room ceilings that were opened to find and fix a water supply leak that led to the mini-renovation of the upstairs bath that my older daughter uses. The rest of the mud work will get done next weekend and then that project leads to painting. Once I had that 'rock hung, taped and the first coat of mud on, I adjourned to the shop and continued work on closing off the rim-joist area to better preserve the heat I pump into the shop during this time of year on the weekends. I have about 10 more joist bays to complete and will get back on that next weekend. Today's work also involved mounting my sound source a little cleaner...it's an old Nakamichi portable with a subwoofer which sounds great for pumping wxpn.org into the shop, but was "hung with haste" the first time around.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The LOML requested 2 new end tables to replace the ones we bought in Chicago in 1979. I found an interesting design that I wanted to use as the basis for the one's I'm making. I decided it's time for me to learn Sketchup. Since noon Wednesday, I've been chained to the desktop with a photo of the original and learning Sketchup.

It was a number of LONG days. It seems that I am a slow learner but I am getting there! In fact, I'm about 70% finished including the joinery. I ran into a problem and emailed my friend, Dave Richards. He critiqued it, I made changes in a couple minutes and receive a "Good Job" on the 2nd round.

I plan on using Sketchup in the future for all my projects.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-08-2017 at 10:54 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Finished truing up the tenon and routed the channel for the tail vise in the front slab of my Benchcrafted roubo build. Slow going, but no major mistakes yet (there are a few blemishes in the photo, but they aren't visible in the finished product. Not sure how to get the pic oriented correctly, it is in the pic that is on my desktop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 01-09-2017 at 2:04 PM. Reason: Rotated image

I was out of the shop this weekend with daughter #1 (went to a hockey game to celebrate her birthday) so daughter #2's birthday present was temporarily put on hold. Come to think of it, maybe that's what daughter #1 had in mind when she suggested going out to a hockey game. I did manage to pick up a piece of 8/4 cherry so I can make a set of back legs for the cherry and fir bookcase that took a backseat to my last bunk bed project. Is this the way it's going to be, I wonder--there's always one project that comes up to put another one on hold? I've had that bookcase sitting around since last spring and wonder if it'll ever get done (or at least that what the LOML is beginning to think).

I'll be back in the shop this week putting together a steam box that I'll be using to create some trim pieces that will go around the outside of the eliptical platforms on the cat tree I'm working on for daughter #2. I'll have pictures of that process as it unfolds...or unbends as the case may be

Hi Dennis, I spent Saturday cleaning and lubricating the saw/shaper and jointer/planer.

I also flipped the blades in the J/P and waxed all the cast iron.

Not a lot of fun however once a year the lubrication needs to be done, doing it first thing in the new year seems to be easy for me to remember.

Sunday morning we went to visit Diann's sister and give her son a Westinghouse AC arc welder I came across. In the afternoon we went to see Hidden Figures, the story of the black women who were the "computers" NASA used for the early space race........Very good movie, well worth seeing.

Regards, Rod.

Typical stuff, pulling motors out of Italian machines along with much cursing.

I moved some stuff around in the shop, then decided to clean up the table saw. Then decided to take the table saw apart for a complete clean, regrease and refinish. That took some time.