Thread: Corner cabinet angled drawer faces

Corner cabinet angled drawer faces

So I'm down to installing the last few drawer faces and our year long kitchen remodel will be done. I've saved the worst for last. The three drawers in the corner cabinet. My wife didn't want a lazy Susan and all our lower cabinets are drawers except for 2 doors under the apron front sink.

My issue is installing the faces on the drawers in this corner cabinet. I'm trying to keep a tight gap between the drawer faces and it has worked out everywhere else except the geometry of these 45* drawers means a bigger gap unless I'm missing something obvious. So that is the question. Am I missing something obvious or is it just not going to be possible to keep a 1/16 -1/8 gap on the sides?

See the pictures. I pulled this set of drawer faces off so I could rethink things and not start making a bunch of cuts. These drawer faces were rubbing when they closed so I need to take off some width somewhere.

I screwed the two drawer faces together before mounting but now I'm thinking that is a bad idea looking at the left side. Seems like I might want to mount each face independently so I can shave down the edges and hide some of varying gap. I also probably need to do some shimming on the faces assuming my drawers weren't perfect. Maybe this is just a bunch of trial and error fitting and shimming until it looks halfway decent?

One thought that just occurred to me looking at the picture.... maybe the edges/sides should be chamfered greater than 45 degrees so just the tips have to clear the adjacent drawer?

Any pro tricks to mounting these drawer faces?
    Attached Images Attached Images

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    I like the clean, modern look.
    No "Pro Tricks" from this guy, but I like a chamfer around doors and drawers while maintaining a tight gap. Maybe that's all that's needed on the neighboring door on the left and the drawers on the right to provide the necessary clearance for the corner drawer to open and close properly - but it may be to late for your project or not what you had in mind.
    Or, you could have started with the corner drawers and work your way out from there.
    Last edited by John Lankers; 01-08-2017 at 11:45 PM.

Mike, your last thought is the go. You only need the outside edge clearance to look right. Cheers

+1 on the chamfer - if you look at the Blum Tandem catalog on line for their space corner slides you'll see they've done the same