Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Router dust collection: over or under?

RE: the above referenced Milescraft router table over/under dust collection system -- https://www.amazon.com/Milescraft-DR...ust+collection

Has anyone utilized this DC system with a PCV 7518 and the original/older -- gold base -- Woodpecker PRL router lift?

Contacted Milescraft and they are not sure if it is compatible with the older PRL and the newer PRL-V2 lifts.

Am awaiting a response from Woodpeckers about compatibility.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 01-11-2017 at 8:25 PM.

I looked at the Milescraft/Keen systems and strongly considered them until I came across an old video by Steve Maskery. He cut a hole in his router plate and attached a shop vac hose to it for dust collection when routing Dado cuts.
    Not wanting to cut the plate on my homemade table, I cut a 2-1/4 inch hole in the table itself on the outfeed side, centered on the zero line, and then mounted a spare fence port underneath that I had in the shop. I used a section of 2-1/2 inch shop vac hose with ends to connect it to my 1hp Harbor Freight dust collection system (which is also 2-1/2 inches since all I have hooked to it is the router cabinet and a TS3650 table saw).
    Even with all three blast gates open (router table, router fence, and table saw) I'm seeing better than 95% dust collection when routing dado cuts.
    When I cut the hole in the router table, I also included a 1/4 inch wide, 1/4 inch deep rabbet around it. That way I can drop a wooden insert in it to close it off when edge routing small pieces.
    Since everything I used was "spare parts" in my shop, the only cost was about an hour of my time...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Why not collect chips thru the fence? Build a hollow rectangle fence, with opening at bit. Add port to end of fence for vac hose. This fence could be clamped to TS fence, as hose wouldn't interfere with mounting.
    That's what I have with my Incra fence. I also have dust collection underneath. The combo works quite well, and I would definitely suggest having both. Using a 5HP cyclone, so no limit of power there.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    Try to collect from top and bottom.

dust.jpgpat router.jpgrouter table.JPG

Yea you really do need to collect dust at multiple locations on a router table IMO. I have a dust collection box around the router, use the Incra CleanSweep magnetic inserts in my Incra lift and use the dust collection port build into the fence all connected to my Oneida V-3000 3HP cyclone and there is rarely even spec of dust left after using the setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I've used my setup a bit more and my 10A Rigid shop vac seems to pull enough air to do both the fence and underneath at the same time. I have a Y in the 2.5 inch hose with one end on the fence and the other goes into the router compartment up to the area the collet is in. I don't like pulling from under the router because if you do you fight the fan on the router. Picking up around the collet helps the fan cool the router.

Both. The bigger chips will fall below the table and the lighter dust will remain above. You should have dust collection to both to get as much of the dust out of the air as possible.

Blog Entries
    The fence port is not used for about half of what I do. For profiling straight edges it is of a major benefit. For non-through cuts and curved template routing (with a starter pin) it is a different story.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler