Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Crush Grind peppermill method

My Crush Grind peppermill method

I've read many sad stories from frustrated woodworkers about the difficulties they are having installing the Crush Grind peppermill mechanisms. The need for Metric boring bits or uncommon sizes of imperial boring bits. Cutting off the locking tabs or eliminating the ribs having to use the exact type or make of epoxy to make sure it will adhere to the plastic parts.

I have grown quite fond of these CG mechanisms but I had many of the same issues mentioned above. So being the wood nut and non-professional design guy that I am, I have developed a different method to install the plastic parts into my turned wooden mills that doesn't require metric drills, no cutting off tabs or ribs, no epoxy or any of those difficult to use and expensive slot cutters. This is a fool proof method that I use with all my mills now.

I'm just now completing an AutoCad drawing that shows how I have made this a simpler process.

I'd be happy to share drawings if you might be interested.

Please share.

Kim, Thanks. That should make things a lot easier.
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

Kim, thanks for sharing the drawing. But, without some explanation of what you're trying to show us, it's of little to no use to me.

Len

I use the Woodcut Milldrill. Did an article on it for More Woodturning.

Len, you are so right about that. I know I got the cart before the horse on this and without some explanation it does have little value. My intention was to get the drawings out and provide a few more 3D cutaway views. I'll be adding verbiage to explain how and why I developed and use this method. Please check back in a day or so (being that I probably won't get too much time for it on Thanksgiving) for more details. If you are one of those guys that have had installation issues with the Crush Grind mechanisms, then you may like this process. Thanks for your feedback. Best regards. Kim

Here are a few additional images to give a better idea of how I install the CrushGrind mechanisms.PEPPERMILL CUTAWAY ASSEMBLED_1_CROPPED.jpgIMG_20160803_072234.jpgIMG_20160803_073243.jpg
    Last edited by Kim Hillard; 11-24-2016 at 2:57 PM.

So Kim,
    Looks interesting, how are you making the ring you're inserting, if that's what you are doing.
    Larry

Larry, yes the rings are the key to this whole method. I'm just turning them on the lathe to proper I.D. and O.D., parting them off to the right length and use the Crush Grind part to mark off where the slots are located. I will use a sharp chisel, or triangular file or even a jigsaw to cut the slots on the I.D. of the rings. Once the slots are good then the rings can be placed onto the Crush Grind parts to verify that they are the right length for the tabs to lock. Now you can insert that whole assembly into the respective mill top or bottom/base to make sure the O.D. of the ring is good. The beauty is ... now the rings can be taken off the CG parts, glued into the top or base with your favorite wood glue and finished with your favorite method/finish. Now you can install the CG parts into the wooden mill parts you turned and you will get the reassuring click when the tabs take hold.
    Thanks for your interest.
    Best Regards,
    Kim

I'm glad you are putting this out here for us-it looks like a fool proof method for this mechanism. I have been hesitant to try these before. I look forward to a bit more explanation but I think I have the general idea. Thanks!
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Kim, have you used these rings/bushings to assemble some mills or is this something you intend to try out?
    Last edited by Kevin Hampshire; 12-14-2016 at 11:29 PM.

Kevin, I have made a dozen or so mills using these rings/inserts and each one assembled so much easier than the early few that I fumbled through. I am now a avid supporter of using these mechanisms for all of my pepper and salt grinders.
    Thanks for your interest and questions.
    Best regards,
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hampshire View Post
    Kim, have you used these rings/bushings to assemble some mills or is this something you intend to try out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim
    So being the wood nut and non-professional design guy that I am, I have developed a different method to install the plastic parts into my turned wooden mills that doesn't require metric drills, no cutting off tabs or ribs, no epoxy or any of those difficult to use and expensive slot cutters. This is a fool proof method that I use with all my mills now.
    Kim, Thank you for sharing your proven method with us. Your CGI is awesome and really allows one to see what is going on, and how everything aligns. I am excited to try these out also, now.

Thanks Jeramie, I think you will like it once you do try it.