Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post drill question

Post drill question

I acquired a post drill a while back, it's a Champion 4 1/2. I was wondering if anybody here had one and if they were willing to show some illustrational illustrations of the gears. See, I am not sure if the gears on the right side (if you're facing it) are correct. Doctor Google is being annoying and won't help. I would also like to know what to do with the hole chuck situation, it didn't come with one durn it! I think I know what size I need and have one lined up on eBay. Would a MT2 shank fit? Does anybody have any homemade fixes? Anyone got a picture? Anybody know why Tarzan doesn't have a beard? Hello?
    Last edited by Brent Cutshall; 01-09-2017 at 2:03 PM.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

George at WWGOA has a post drill circa 1850's (approx.), that he did a short video on. You may be able to contact him on his website and get a bit of information from him.

Have you tried looking for post drills on Ebay,or go to as blacksmithing forum. I have never owned one myself.

I've scoured eBay for the like, but nothing. Aside from that, if I can't find a shank for the chuck, I'll make one. So, my priority is the gears on the side. I might have to contact someone like Steve said.

I think I turned up something on my Google search. Try 'Champion post drill' and look at the pictures and check this site, that I found from the Google search - http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind....aspx?id=13510. This says it is a 4 1/2. Hope this helps.

There is at least one listed in the link (Richard beat me to it). The chuck is probably for a Silver and Deming bit (1/2" shank), just get a 1/2" to whatever adapter (may have to cut excess length off adapter) and Jacobs chuck from your site of choice. http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex...1&th=false&fl=

Mike, Richard, I've done been on site y'all suggested, thank you for posting this, but the problem is that they only show a small portion of the side I need to see. I don't know if there's supposed three or four gears on the right side.

They never show what you need to see. I have been looking for a picture of the fence adjustment for an Atlas tablesaw. There's a million pics of everything else, but no adjusting mechanism. The only advice I can give is just play around and see if everything works. I have only seen two post drills in person, mine you can move the handle to another gear to change speeds, the other you had to move the gear with the handle to a different spot.

Mike, I think you have just answered my question. There's two rod that fit the handle and it's gear perfectly, but I would never had thought that it might just be another gear placement. In both places the handle turns the main shaft so I reckon that's a very possible possibility. Thanks Mike! Thanks all! Now on to the question of the chuck and Tarzan's beardless self.

I answered the chuck question above. It is likely a straight 1/2" hole (for Silver and Deming style bits). You need an adapter- 1/2" straight to whatever chuck you want. 1/2" to 3jt and 3jt chuck for example (3jt-jacob taper?- for 3/4", 2jt for 3/8ish). Just make sure your adapter and chuck match. I bought a chuck and adapter for about $20. Tarzan, his beard got caught in the vines when he was young, so he plucked it out when it started coming in. Now it can't grow, like women who pluck their eyebrows too much.

I don't know if you guys know exactly what I'm talking about with the chuck. I'll get some pictures later. I really think that was it with the gears, they line up perfectly.... Vines huh?...

I'm assuming you are talking about there not being a modern chuck on the spindle, just a hole with a set screw? That hole is the chuck, for 1/2" shank bits. Or is yours broken? Or perhaps two piece and part missing?

Brent, I have an old post drill and I think that it's a Champion. I'll see if I can take some pix in the next day or so and post them.

Here's the end of the shaft. It didn't come with anything on it at all. The inside of the shaft will either fit an MT2 or MT3 shank. I know they make MT inserts with an actual chuck on the end, I'll bet I need to get one of those. You know, it seems kindly funny to me, these where the height of non-electric technology back then and these can be found fairly readily for the right price. But it's rare to find genuine parts for these anywhere. I'll look into it, any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Brent- That looks odd. Do you happen to have a pic of the drill all put together?