Thread: rolling shop cabinet

Question rolling shop cabinet

what is the longest rolling shop cabinet you have built? i don't want to permanently take more wall space out of my shop.i was thinking of a 6 ft. cabinet on wheels and putting my 12 inch slider on top with shelves on the bottom.i am thinking of plywood like a normal cabinet but I wonder if I need to build a frame under the box to eliminate sag or use 6 wheels to spread the load?any one build one this long or longer.any input or thoughts appreciated.

I would put 6 wheels under it for sure. I bought a General tool chest from HF instead. Probably best bang for you buck in tool chests.

really looking for storage with adjustable shelves not so much hand tool storage.thanks

I built a rolling workbench for the garage out of an old bathroom double vanity, just slightly under 8' long. Made a 2x6 frame around the base and mounted four 330lb casters to it. It doesn't move around much but it is piled with junk and so I am wishing that I had put a couple more casters in the middle to help carry the load as the casters seem to be near their limits.
    ~Garth

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    6' is probably as wide as I would go, but for a mitersaw station still acceptable - you can add hinged wings on either side if you need more support.
    If your shop floor is dead flat put it on 6 casters and build the base lighter but otherwise build a sturdy frame and put it on 4 casters. Use casters that actually lock the wheels and the swivel plate in place.

I used 4 x 4's for the corner posts, 2 x 4 skirt around bottom, 2 x 6 skirt around top, supported ply bottom shelf, and work top. I placed 4 casters, 1 ea on ea 4 x 4. A lot of crap stored on shelf, no problem with 4 casters and the weight. The moving work bench/storage is 4' x 4'. Definitely use swivel casters on all for corners, easier to maneuver in tight places.

IMG_1165.jpg

Not pretty, but it works. I decided not to add doors.

thanks everyone I think I will do the frame.