Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grinding Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Collier View Post
    I'm not implying in any way that someone needs to buy "exotic" tools to try woodturning. I, myself started with an entire set of generic HSS tools that costs less than 50 bucks and as stated earlier, I still use a few of them. As time goes on, they are being replaced with better quality because it just makes since to do so. As for price, an unhandled Thompson bowl gouge and its exotic make up is about 65 bucks. An unhandled Sorby bowl gouge in the same size for example, is about 80 bucks. Thompson steel holds an edge something like 27 times longer than standard HSS. How many of those Sorby gouges and other brands will be ground down to a nub and need replacing before I grind away all of my exotic steel? Even with the cost of the exotic grinding wheels I'm shopping, I'm probably still gonna see a savings in the long run. Its more than marketing and may actually be more cost effective for a retired fella!
    Nor am I saying that you should or should not, what I’m saying is, use what works for you, throwing more $$ at it will not necessarily make you a better turner or turn nicer pieces.

Paying a $150-- rather than $40-- with about the same end results doesn’t make much sense to me, Happy turning
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Albrecht View Post
    Hey, come on now. I'm retired too. And I don't just buy up all the newest stuff either, but you have to admit that there is a lot of new technology that benefits mankind in general, and woodturners too. When my friable 8” wheels were worn down to replacement size it made sense to spend a few dollars more to get something that will not need to be replaced again.You hope

I have five sons. One of them is a woodturner-- he, and my grand daughters, are going to make a haul when the time comes.
    Tom use what works for you, how long did the wheels last on your grinder ??, where they the better wheels ??, I know I won’t wear my grinder wheels out by a long shot, unless someone makes me last another lifetime, doubt that very much

Yup some good stuff around we never had before, but the 50 year old wood lathes are probably better than the new ones, even without the VFD on them that you could add, and that is an improvement some also don’t want to pay for
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 01-11-2017 at 12:02 PM.
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Albrecht View Post
    I do believe that I was told that the aluminum wheels are resin bonded...
    Here’s some info on the different bonded cbn grinding wheels that Norton makes

Plus another makers wanted info when ordering.

CBN wheel disk and other info.jpg
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 01-12-2017 at 9:30 PM.
    Have fun and take care

OK were did you get a CBN wheel for $125.00, what type.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Willing View Post
    OK were did you get a CBN wheel for $125.00, what type.
    Ken Rizza has a special for $125 per wheel but you have to buy two, a good idea anyway I think.
    http://woodturnerswonders.com/collec...0-and-180-grit
    Choice of grits. Knowing Ken he would probably give you any combination of grits, even if not on his list. Maybe get a friend to go in with you?