Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Collier View Post
I'm not implying in any way that someone needs to buy "exotic" tools to try woodturning. I, myself started with an entire set of generic HSS tools that costs less than 50 bucks and as stated earlier, I still use a few of them. As time goes on, they are being replaced with better quality because it just makes since to do so. As for price, an unhandled Thompson bowl gouge and its exotic make up is about 65 bucks. An unhandled Sorby bowl gouge in the same size for example, is about 80 bucks. Thompson steel holds an edge something like 27 times longer than standard HSS. How many of those Sorby gouges and other brands will be ground down to a nub and need replacing before I grind away all of my exotic steel? Even with the cost of the exotic grinding wheels I'm shopping, I'm probably still gonna see a savings in the long run. Its more than marketing and may actually be more cost effective for a retired fella!
Nor am I saying that you should or should not, what I’m saying is, use what works for you, throwing more $$ at it will not necessarily make you a better turner or turn nicer pieces.

Paying a $150-- rather than $40-- with about the same end results doesn’t make much sense to me, Happy turning