Thread: 3 x 21 belt for sharpening

3 x 21 belt for sharpening

I want to achieve a flat bevel grind on a large skew using a belt sander set up in a wooden cradle ala Doc Green.

Any suggestions for belts with minimal bump at the joint?
    RD

With a jig that will hold the skew horizontal, one can get a flat grind on a wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    I want to achieve a flat bevel grind on a large skew using a belt sander set up in a wooden cradle ala Doc Green.

Any suggestions for belts with minimal bump at the joint?

i've had great success with these guys
    http://www.klingspor.com/products/KlgprBlts.htm

call and ask what they recommend.

Don't forget to get one for metal not wood.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Olaf, I found this on the Klingspor site http://www.klingspor.com/products/klgprjts.htm. A nice graphic on belt joints.

John, would it be possible for you to direct me to a resource or an image showing this? If the bevel were presented to the wheel as below you could get a flat grind by moving the skew perpendicular to to the tangent of the wheel. But I can't quite imaging a jig that makes sense for a bench grinder.

Maybe more coffee will help!

skew-and-wheel.gif
    NTS

Thanks, Richard
    RD

Richard, I have not felt the need to achieve a flat grind, but I think with just a bit of welding one could make another jig that would utilize the Wolverine system. I think the skew would need to be free to tilt in order to contact the wheel across the entire width.

My motivation in posting was to just suggest another option other than acquiring a belt sander and building a jog for that setup. If you already own the belt sander, perhaps that is an easier option for you.