Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flourish: Pyro on a Plate

Flourish: Pyro on a Plate

PyroCloseup.jpgPyroPlateAngleTop.jpgPyroPlateTop.jpgPyroPlateAngleBot.jpgPyroPlateBot.jpg

Beech, 10" diameter. Pyro. Unfinished. Still needs design on the bottom and a maker's mark.

I turned this with the idea of putting the pyro on in Cynthia Gibson's pyrography class, but didn't get the chance to do it at the time. Good fun though! Y'know, fire, smoke, good food, good friends, turning, and art!

The repeating pattern was inspired by a carved plate I saw in a carving book I bought in the past year (I'll give reference to it when I figure out which one). I'd like to refine my own pattern a bit and do some more of these. This is a lotta work though. My respect for Cynthia Gibson grew by leaps and bounds as I did this evenings and lunch hours. Her fine control and delicate lines are amazing!

Suggestion on how to finish this, design for the bottom, and whether to continue the pyro down to the bottom of the v-groove welcome.

Also, looking for name suggestions.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

really good work, Jim

Suggestion on how to finish this, design for the bottom, and whether to continue the pyro down to the bottom of the v-groove welcome.

Also, looking for name suggestions.
    leave it unfinished, or no finish
    something under the rim, if you put something on base i would be afraid it would be messed up with handling
    no
    unless you put something in the center, which i do not suggest, no name comes to mind, nothing comes to mind when i see Cynthia's work either, i think no name comes to mind because the detail is what strikes me, not spalting form or such

just my .02 worth, really like it Jim
    Last edited by charlie knighton; 04-26-2013 at 9:04 PM.

That's beautiful Jim. I've done a lot of pyro but never got really good at it. Made a lot of smoke though. I'd love to take a class from an expert like Cynthia.

I've never taken turning classes and I wish I had. I'm too old now. I get in a lot of shop time but I have to stop and rest every so often.

Lovely work, Jim. More involved than I have attempted yet, but along the same lines. Like in carving you need a stop cut, or in this case a stop line. If you can burn one face of the V groove without burning the other, it might give you a little bit cleaner edge.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I just absolutely love this! Nice work.

Excellent work, Jim. Sorry, no suggestions for a name. I wonder if an oil finish (danish oil) would work. What about the finish schedule Jim Adkins suggests in his tutorial? I use that same four step finish on basket work.

Beautiful Jim. Don't know about the name but most of my pyro gets lacquer.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Jim, that is a wonderful piece. I really appreciate the scroll pattern. I come from a high grade shotgun background and always love deep relief scroll engraving. This reminds me of that. Beautiful piece.

Alan

Very nice! I think it looks perfect. G

Very nice. Like Alan, this piece instantly reminded me of the scroll work done on high end firearms. Very nice work.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Thanks for the compliments folks. It means a lot coming from such a group of talented people.
    I do like the comparison to the deep relief scrollwork. I've admired that type of relief carving more than once. It seems some of it must have rubbed off on me.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Y'all might help me solve a debate... My wife thinks I shouldn't put anything else on the bottom of this plate. Cynthia Gibson thinks it needs a little surprise on the bottom. I didn't plan for a design on the bottom but the idea has merits.... if done correctly.

If a design is burned here, where should it go? I was initially thinking it should go on the rounded part between the foot and the raised area near the rim. And then I wondered if it should cover that whole area, or leave white space on each edge. Then I though, perhaps I should put it on the raised area near the rim - not ON the rim, but near the rim.

What do you all think?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

13. This is not true in most cases......where you should listen to your wife..........in this case, I think Cynthia is correct.......she is the master at this sort of thing, and I would certainly trust her eye and judgment! Hope your wife won't get mad!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

That is really outstanding pyro work, Jim! I'm sure it was very time consuming but the end result is worth it.

First off, kudos for the job you have don on this platter, it is amazing. When thinking about the bottom of the platter, how about using the same pattern but opposite, like a photo negative, have the fronds burned and the background unburned and palce it opposite of the pattern on the front? I know that would be a lot of work, but I think it would give a great surprise.
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.