Thread: Prepping wood for shellac

Prepping wood for shellac

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find anything on it. I'm new to shellac, and need to know what I should use to clean a project before applying shellac. I usually wipe down with mineral spirits before applying poly or varnish, to clean off finger grease, etc. Is that OK for shellac too, or should I use something else?

I should maybe add that I'm only using the shellac as a sealer and color toner, it won't be the final top coat.

Thanks!

Shellac seal coat should be dewaxed so another finish will stick to the seal coat. Wiping down with mineral spirits before the seal coat is fine and is what I do but I also let it air dry after wiping for about an hour before I put on the shellac. That's just what I do.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Mineral spirits is fine (and cheap) and generally evaporates away. You can also just use alcohol since it's what you'll be using with the shellac anyway.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks, guys, kinda what I figured. I'm using a dewaxed garnet that I mixed up a few days ago. Just waiting on a brush from Amazon, and I think I'm good to go. I did pad some on some walnut and red oak scraps yesterday and it really warmed things up nicely.