Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 19-38 drum sander dust collection

19-38 drum sander dust collection

Has anyone converted a 19-38 drum sander to 6" dust collection? Was it worth it? How did you do it, build a whole new lid to it or?

Thanks

I ran 6" duct to within 3' of my 25-50 and connected with 4" flex. No problem getting all the dust. Are you having issues with a 4" connection?

What size dust collector do you have? Sanding dust is hardest to collect.

Thanks for the replies.
    Bill, I was thinking about just doing the same thing. I am redoing my dust collection.... moving the DC and adding a cyclone. I was just reading all the threads about how you should really make the connections at the machine 6" Some of my machines wont be to hard, but some like the drum sander would be a pain, and I was just curious if anyone had done it and seen a big improvement. Previously I had a 4" x 10' flex hose come off the 6" duct and it did OK, but wouldn't mind if it was better

Jim. My main line is 6" While moving it I am trying to get 6" to as many of the machines as I can. Everything previously necked down to 4" and some down to 2.5. I am going to take care of the 2.5's with a dedicated shop vac from now on.

Blog Entries
    6" up to the blast gate and about 5' of 4" flex from there. No issues at all with dust collection. I only run a 2HP cyclone.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

ugh i just cloged my bad with one cutting board on my Supermax lol

need a cyclone

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    6" up to the blast gate and about 5' of 4" flex from there. No issues at all with dust collection. I only run a 2HP cyclone.
    My setup sounds like yours, except I use a 5hp cyclone. I bring the 6" PVC down to a box on the wall that turns the 6" into two 4" blast gates, then run 4" flex to the sander. I use a Performax 22-44 and it seems to get nearly all the dust. A laser particulate counter air quality monitor about 10' away doesn't even get excited when I sand.

DC_electrical_shop_s.jpg

The second 4" blast gate is for a disk sander.

JKJ

Never seen a splitter set up like that. Did you get that straight from clear Vue? I won't if they make one that fits 6" metal pipe.
    Last edited by Marc Burt; 01-11-2017 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Burt View Post
    Never seen a splitter set up like that. Did you get that straight from clear Vue? I won't if they make one that fits 6" metal pipe.
    yes its on the CV site 35 without gates or 50 with it looks like

Kenton--

Responding to to your question about whether to build a new hood for the 19-38 to take advantage of a 6" DC connection:

I think that is a good idea. I did that with a Performax Shop Pro 25, and it is a big improvement. My reasoning:

1. Building a replacement hood (I used 1/2" plywood) allows you to return the sander to its original condition if you want to sell it someday.

2. A single 6" connection provides an overall larger collection area than two 4" connections or one 4" connection. The one or two 4" connections slow the air down and provide for less efficient collection than the one 6" connection. If you have great DC, it does pay to keep the larger connection all the way to the tool.

3. My Shop Pro 25 works great with a single 6" connection; absolutely no dust escapes into the shop. I use a Clear Vue.

The 19-38 will likely do OK if you stay with the single 4" connection it came with, but 6" will definitely be better, assuming your dust collector has the oomph to pull that amount of air.

Good luck with the project.

I see no evidence of any dust escaping my 19-38 with the 4" connection. What improvement would I hope to see by using a larger pipe? Is there something more than escaping dust?

I have an ancient hulking 3hp cyclone, branded Pistorius, no idea who might have made it, as it was probably sold as an accessory. It's got some serious metal.

Roger--

I'm not in your shop, so I don't know, but the thing to worry about is the very, very fine dust. That is what messes with your health. If your current system picks up all of that, then no worries. A 6" pipe with a strong impeller pulling the air will pull more air than a 4" pipe with the same impeller. But if yours is working well enough, then well enough is well enough.

This question comes up so often we ought to have a sticky note talking about it. Look at the cross section of a 4" hose and a 6" one. 4"= 12.56 sq. in.- 6"= 28.27 sq. in.

I can't say for any given setup that you can't get much of the dust using a 4" hose. If you have a 5HP blower, you have a better chance than something smaller. However, since dust collectors operate on high flow, low pressure, a 6" hose will allow over twice the flow of a 4" one. It should be obvious that better performance of a DC with proper sized ducting and machine pickups is more likely with the larger duct. I proved this in my shop when I changed to 6" hose and upgraded the machine pickups to the same size. I didn't need a meter to see the difference after years of using 4" hose.

I know some may disagree, but stepping down from a 6" duct to 4" at the machine to match the (too small) factory pickup instead of modding the pickup to 6" negates the use of larger ducting. You might as well just run 4" duct all the way to the machine. It's like trying to breathe through a straw. One solution I used was to make a manifold and collect from multiple places where I had an undersized pickup that couldn't be easily changed. An example would be a table saw with both under table and overarm collection.

Regarding the OP's question, I have a Performax 22-44 sander and plan to make a new cover for it with a 6" pickup. I'll save the factory cover in case I sell the machine. It will probably be hardboard with a piece of metal HVAC pipe for the pickup. Some metal angle, pop rivets, and a bit of silicone to seal the joints. Easy-peasy.

I have the 19-38 with a similar setup as Glenn's except I'm running a 3hp cyclone. I also vent outside, so no filter restriction. Like Roger, I see no evidence of dust escaping. While a 6" connection will provide more volume, I don't think it will necessarily capture very much more dust. Whatever dust escapes the 4" would also escape the 6" port. I have other machines that do benefit greatly with a 6" port, but the 19-38 isn't one of them.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    I have the 19-38 with a similar setup as Glenn's except I'm running a 3hp cyclone. I also vent outside, so no filter restriction. Like Roger, I see no evidence of dust escaping. While a 6" connection will provide more volume, I don't think it will necessarily capture very much more dust. Whatever dust escapes the 4" would also escape the 6" port. I have other machines that do benefit greatly with a 6" port, but the 19-38 isn't one of them.

I agree. I even put the laser particulate counter near the drum sander and do not see alarming counts for even the invisible particles with my 4" duct. I don't think there is enough space around the factory hood (22-44) to let enough air in to make use of the 6" duct. Before going to all the effort of designing a new hood to work with the 6" duct I would do some analysis and thinking. If in doubt, for a long drum I suspect splitting the 6" into two 4" and spacing them across the hood would be effective and a lot easier to implement.

JKJ