Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grizzly price increase

Blog Entries
    Some great suggestions.
    My drive Is about 40' with a very gentle slope uphill to the garage. It's concrete, but the problem is the curb at the street. A curved bottom that swings up about 4-5 inches.
    I have an apliance dolly that my son-in-law and I could possibly get the job done.
    He has access to a lot of things. I'm hoping he'll come up with something.
    Also, he has a low trailer with a ramp we could use.
    As for the delivery truck, I think they'd be willing to back up to the garage.
    And I am a habitual tipper. I just think it's the right thing to do.

I'll get it sorted out somehow and let you know how it goes. Whatever I decide to do the wife had darn well better be able to get her car in the garage the same day, if you know what I mean. She is so sick of all the wood I drag home and I guess I can't blame her. I do have too much in the garage that my truck haa to sit out.

Take it from the crate one piece at a time and bring in on a hand truck. That is what I did with my PM3520.
    God is great and life is good!

Blog Entries
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I really appreciate the feedback I get here at this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    Some great suggestions.
    My drive Is about 40' with a very gentle slope uphill to the garage. It's concrete, but the problem is the curb at the street. A curved bottom that swings up about 4-5 inches.
    I have an apliance dolly that my son-in-law and I could possibly get the job done.
    He has access to a lot of things. I'm hoping he'll come up with something.
    Also, he has a low trailer with a ramp we could use.
    As for the delivery truck, I think they'd be willing to back up to the garage.
    And I am a habitual tipper. I just think it's the right thing to do.

I'll get it sorted out somehow and let you know how it goes. Whatever I decide to do the wife had darn well better be able to get her car in the garage the same day, if you know what I mean. She is so sick of all the wood I drag home and I guess I can't blame her. I do have too much in the garage that my truck haa to sit out.
    Depends on the truck, I have had common carrier loads delivered in everything from semis w/ 53' trailers to 17' box trucks. You may want to have a discussion with the freight company when they call to schedule delivery and see if they can send it on the smallest truck they have with a lift gate. If they send a truck small enough to back into the driveway I am willing to bet they will pallet jack it right into your garage. If not and the pallet jack won't make the approach into the driveway you will have to have other plans. Furniture dollies will work fine if the concrete is smooth enough for the small wheels but you still have the curb to deal with. I would probably plan to pull the pieces out and hand truck them in if the truck can't back into the garage.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

The driver will not want to put the wheels of the truck on the driveway for fear of damaging it.

Plan A and B

1) if the driver can back up to your driveway(without going on the driveway) the lift gate will drop on the other side 4" curb and roll it up your driveway. This will not work unless you are the end house of a cul-de-sac

2) make a ramp to go from the street over your 4" curb. A 3/4" plywood with some dirt under it for support (for heavy lathe) would do the trick.

I had to move my lathe around my house to a walk out basement door in the back yard. The driver pulled it up the driveway for me, but I had to move it around the house, down a gentle slope.

For my case, a big 4 wheeled cart worked better then a large 2 wheel cart. I bought a 1000lb hydraulic table cart to pull it around http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb...art-69148.html. The lift was handy to assembly the lathe. I already had the harbor freight 2 ton shop crane to help with assembly. I tend to work by myself, so I have accumulated tools to make that easier.

Good luck
    Michael
    Last edited by Michael Schneider; 01-22-2017 at 7:19 AM.

Hoover fencing sent an e-mail indicating all their prices would increase between 5% and 8% because the prices of steel have substantially increased. I suspected it was an over-inflation of the cost increases but perhaps they were telling the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Peace View Post
    Take it from the crate one piece at a time and bring in on a hand truck. That is what I did with my PM3520.
    Thats what I did with my G0766, my bandsaw, my tablesaw, my DVR-XP....
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Blog Entries
    I think I'm going to go ahead and order the G0766.
    I was looking at accessories and noticed the Grizzly T10117 - Big Mouth Dust Hood. Anyone use this and how do you like it? I think it looks like a very versatile piece.
    Also, does the 766 come with verything needed to start turning right away?

Blog Entries
    I already have about 15 turning tools I've picked up here and there but I plan to buy a carbide bit at some point.

Blog Entries
    With that hood and this: Woodstock G6102 - 5 Gallon Dust Collection Cyclone Separator I plan to use my shop vac to catch the chips and then the with the filter removed , blow the dust outside.
    Just temporary. A friend has offered to help me build a workshop separate from the house/garage this spring. Then I'll figure out a dust system for it.
    Right now with cold weather I just want to turn in my attached garage

11. Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    With that hood and this: Woodstock G6102 - 5 Gallon Dust Collection Cyclone Separator I plan to use my shop vac to catch the chips and then the with the filter removed , blow the dust outside.
    Just temporary. A friend has offered to help me build a workshop separate from the house/garage this spring. Then I'll figure out a dust system for it.
    Right now with cold weather I just want to turn in my attached garage
    You might catch some sanding dust, but you won't be able to catch all those shavings......trust me!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    You might catch some sanding dust, but you won't be able to catch all those shavings......trust me!
    I'll second that!!! I use a snow shovel and wheelbarrow for my "dust collector".
    Seriously, the only time I use the dust collector for my lathe is when i'm sanding. When i'm turning I just let the shavings go wherever they fall and scoop them up when i'm finished. I do use a cheap shower curtain behind the lathe to "try" to keep the shavings somewhat confined.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    I think I'm going to go ahead and order the G0766.
    Also, does the 766 come with verything needed to start turning right away?
    Its included faceplate and centers will get you going with spindle projects and less-elaborate face work. But in general the answer would be "no", woodturning is full of accessories and gizmos. My advice would be to read about or watch videos on the projects you're interested in and just observe what tools people are using.

14. You will get the same basic accessories that come with most lathes......faceplate [for bowls,etc] and a spur drive center, a live tailstock center, and knock out rod, plus toolrest.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!