Thread: Help with repair on my trusty Chester tool works plane hammer

Help with repair on my trusty Chester tool works plane hammer

The wooden side of my Chester tool works plane adjusting hammer popped in half as I was using it a couple of days ago. No complaints as I've had it a while and it has served me well. I would like to repair it however.

here's my thought: I plan on getting a 1" x 1" blank, drilling out the hole (haven't measured the pin it sits on yet), cutting to length, and then shaping it.

sound alright?

my questions: should I drill the hole slightly scant? Suggestions on shape (don't have lathe)? Lignum vitae is the default but other woods I might consider? Am I correct in thinking no adhesive in between hole and pin?

Not sure if this is news to you, but Dave Anderson, a moderator on this very forum is, I believe, the proprietor of Chester Tool Works.
    If I have that right, he would be the man to ask.

Email me Tony and I'll take care of it for you to your satisfaction. dave@chestertoolworks.com
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Email me Tony and I'll take care of it for you to your satisfaction. dave@chestertoolworks.com
    @dave email sent.

Email me Tony and I'll take care of it for you to your satisfaction.
    I received the new parts yesterday. Thanks muchly. I have zero experience with epoxy to put it on. What do you recommend?
    Last edited by Tony Wilkins; 01-15-2017 at 12:55 PM.

Hi Tony,

I would buy one of the double syringe types at the hardware store unless you have need for larger amounts for other projects. I use System 3, but in the 1 pint kits and mix and dispense as needed.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Oddly enough, last week I just replaced the wooden face of my 2 year old LV plane hammer. It had chipped and cracked until it was flush with the brass.

Dave, I just looked over your website and I think your tools look great and are priced very fairly. I can already see an item or two I'll add to my wishlist!

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

My Chester marking knife and plane hammer work very well and the plane hammer face is holding up. Good stuff.
    David

Hi Tony,

I would buy one of the double syringe types at the hardware store unless you have need for larger amounts for other projects. I use System 3, but in the 1 pint kits and mix and dispense as needed.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Oddly enough, last week I just replaced the wooden face of my 2 year old LV plane hammer. It had chipped and cracked until it was flush with the brass.

Dave, I just looked over your website and I think your tools look great and are priced very fairly. I can already see an item or two I'll add to my wishlist!

Fred
    I recommend Dave's tools wholeheartedly.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    My Chester marking knife and plane hammer work very well and the plane hammer face is holding up. Good stuff.
    My plane hammer and brad awl were some of my earliest tool purchases and both have held up wonderfully. The plane hammer face has been used a lot but I probably shortened its life trying to get the blade out of a wooden jointer who I hadn't realized had shrunk due to dry weather (read whacked the fool out of it)

Thanks for the kind words guys. After about 3 years of testing on my own personal plane hammers I decided to change from Lignum Vitae on the wood end of the head and adopt Jatoba (Brazilian Cherry). The interlocked grain on the Jatoba is more resistant to splitting than the Lignum with its straight grain. Eventually though any wooden head will either split or be used up (worn away).
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Thanks for the kind words guys. After about 3 years of testing on my own personal plane hammers I decided to change from Lignum Vitae on the wood end of the head and adopt Jatoba (Brazilian Cherry). The interlocked grain on the Jatoba is more resistant to splitting than the Lignum with its straight grain. Eventually though any wooden head will either split or be used up (worn away).
    Them Jatoba heads ya sent be us sure pretty too.

I am looking forward to one of Dave's hammers arriving here tomorrow. One thing I did not consider, since it's coming from TBT, can I assume the wood heads are interchangeable between your hammers and the ones that go to TB? I might consider a replacement head now instead of later.
    Last edited by Michael L. Martin; 01-16-2017 at 4:38 PM.

TBT has a different size, wood, and design of their wooden head made special for them. The brass tenon is the same size on both my standard hammer and their design. Quite interchangeable.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Thanks Dave!