Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table saw died

Table saw died

Have a 10" 3hp single phase Jet table saw. It stopped in the middle of ripping some plywood. Breaker was fine,no smoke, nothing. The only thing was it had a bit of a "kick" when I turned it on for the rip. Switch maybe? Help.

Maybe the start capacitor?

Caps are always the first and easiest thing to check.

A switch is extremely simple to meter as long as you own a multimeter. It's also a free thing to check. Then the capacitor. Do you own a multimeter?

Take a look at the heaters (overloads). You might have toasted one of them. That happened to my PM66 years ago while ripping some thick stock. I used a short section of wire to bypass the link until I could get the proper replacement.

No idea, never had this happen and I always vacuum and blow out the motor. I know the on off buttons don't seem to catch like they normally do. I've had it for about 25 yrs and it's a workhorse but not abused .

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Mayuski View Post
    No idea, never had this happen and I always vacuum and blow out the motor. I know the on off buttons don't seem to catch like they normally do. I've had it for about 25 yrs and it's a workhorse but not abused .
    Motors ahve this stuff happen all of the time. I am state licensed as an Electrician in Ohio and have worked as a refrigeration mechanic as well. I currently work in the facilities department of a small university.

Nothing to worry about, probably a cap, overload or switch....

...and nothing related to abuse. Things get old and break. I would buy an extra of whatever you find it is so you ahve one on hand.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Mayuski View Post
    ..I always vacuum and blow out the motor. I know the on off buttons don't seem to catch like they normally do.
    When you blow out the motor do you also open up the switch box (after unplugging the saw) and blow the dust out of that?
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Is there a thermal overload button on the motor somewhere?? It may have tripped and needs to be reset if it is an older motor.
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Maybe the start capacitor?
    The saw was running when it stopped. Not the capacitor.
    Switch contacts are likely. Either in the motor, or the start stop switch.
    240 volt supply? Make sure you have power to both legs.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Not to sound stupid but where would I look for the heaters/overloads?

Yes, but the switch unit is sealed pretty well and very little dust makes its way in. I' m thinking switch but have no knowledge or meter to test it

Don"t own one and would not have a clue......electronics are not my strong suit but I quess I might have to learn real quick.

Yes 240, know where to check in the motor? Its also a magnetic switch if that makes any differance......?

I would call Jet I have had excellent experience talking to their techs.

Could be lots of things like a capacitor or there is a centrifugal brake on the motor that may be the problem.

It would be very easy to check the switch with a voltmeter before calling Jet.